+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Clear Out... Team Motivation

Summer Clear Out... Team Motivation

I cannot understand the purpose of our manager declaring now that we need a " clear out in the Summer "
    Surely his main job is to motivate the players to keep us in this league . What happens in the Summer is irrevelant .
    Announcing a clear out serves no positive purpose other than to cover his own backside .
    Telling us tonight that he team haven't won back to back is also stating the obvious .
    Tuesday wil be interesting !

re: Summer Clear Out... Team Motivation

Barkers reverse psychology. Except it worked in reverse.

Bernie, he's on a loser whatever he says, he'll wind some fans if tells it how it is & he'll wind other fans up if he papers over the cracks...However, I genuinely thought that we were defensively capable of not being on the end of a drubbing like that today

The only way you could motivate our bunch of tossers is with a massive win bonus ,I expect we will be treated to the usual crap "we will want to put this right next game" or "we will show the fans this was a one off "Please spare me the bull****, we are rubbish and only a very lucky spell can save us now

I guarantee before next Saturday , will have that drivel in the News, pity they haven't got a reporter with the balls to chsllenge the usual platitudes.

[quote="berniefan"
    Surely his main job is to motivate the players to keep us in this league . What happens in the Summer is irrevelant .
    Announcing a clear out serves no positive purpose other than to cover his own backside .
    Telling us tonight that he team haven't won back to back is also stating the obvious .
    Tuesday wil be interesting ![/quote]

We've always needed a clear out in the summer. Most of the team haven't been motivated all season and I can't believe people are still saying some of them still only look half-fit - in February! Are they not training because of injuries or laziness? Whichever, they have to go so Barker's right. But am not convinced he's the man to stick with long term. I think his contract is only a year? I hope there isn't an immediate extension clause if he keeps us up.

Up until now I have been willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt as I thought we were making progress - very slowly but progress nonetheless.

Couldn't believe it when I read he was anticipating a summer clear out. Just what we don't need - yet more upheaval on the playing staff. What happened to evolution rather than revolution he was espousing not so long ago? He has had the time and finances to bring plenty of his own players in and now he is saying they are not good enough. When is all this ****ing about going to end ffs?

Very unlikely that he was talking about the players he brought in - more likely he was talking about the players already at the club when he arrived after Whittingham. When a manager says 'a clear out' it's never the entire squad - just the dead wood.

RB can no longer use the excuse that there were only rubbish players here when he arrived, he has brought in a few of his own. He has plenty to say in themedia, but the fact is we are now in a much worse position in league 2 than we were when he arrived. Almost every club that have a new manager in league 2 start with good results and move up the table, we are the exception, we brought in a new manager and have slid down into real relegation trouble. :/

He's only brought in a few as you say - need more than that to change things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)