+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Etheridge back on loan - now for the comments!

Etheridge back on loan - now for the comments!

The young Fulham stopper has rejoined us until mid April. From the comments on the Garratt thread that is going to be quite divisive.

My personal view is that Ben has done a fantastic job and keeps improving, but Etheridge proved to be a real bonus in his short time with us. On balance, and given our precarious league position, I'm happy to see him back.

But I may be alone ...

re: Etheridge back on loan - now for the comments!

Agree with your comments AL.

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkDust
    Agree with your comments AL.
    Huh. And here's me trying to be the ****siest bit controversial. X-D

Just as an aside, Phillips looked very good with the U21s yesterday and made a brilliant one-handed save late on. For most of the match though he was uncharacteristically quiet, but always seemed to be in the right place, even though he had little to do.

Was always going to happen once he was fit.

I'm sure Steve feels that he can't risk the most important 14 games of his life with a very young inexperienced keeper. Ben has done really well, but like any young player learning his trade, he will need taking out of the firing line at some stage.

Just one question. How come a 93 day loan only takes him to mid April? Even if you include the first 30 day loan then he should be with us til the end of April.

Not sure this sends the correct signal to Ben. Think he's doing a great job for us.

I am unsure about this. I agree Etheridge was a class act in the little we saw of him.

However, I think we can all agree Ben has been outstanding and deserves the number one shirt. Obviously Etheridge hasn't come here on loan to be a back up which suggests Ben will be dropped.

I think it will be interesting to see how it is handled by Steve and it is good to have strong competition in that role for once.
    However, my personal thoughts are keep with our own, Ben will only get better through playing and has shown he has deserved his place.

We stay up and Ben will be number one for us next season and will be stronger for paying a part in potentially avoiding relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by Timon
    Not sure this sends the correct signal to Ben. Think he's doing a great job for us.
    If Steve has managed it correctly (and I'm sure he has), I really don't see it as a problem.

How about...

'Ben, you've done brilliantly for us... you've really proved that you can perform at this level, and shown that you can be our number one keeper next year.

However, due to the situation that we're in, I think it's best for your development to have a rest. I don't want you to suffer a setback in a crucial game because it could really effect you psychologically in the future.

You will play in all the U21 games and if Eldridge gets injured again or doesn't play as well as you, you'll be straight back in. What I will say is that if you continue to show the type of form that you have done and develop physically, then I'd love you to start next season as our number one.'

Now, if I were Ben, whilst I'd want to play games, I'd be quite happy with that

Ben's had a good run of games for a keeper of his age.

Sit him down explain the rationale to him and he'll understand. He started as 3rd choice keeper so he's done well.

Any young player, in any position, will not take well sorry we are dropping you because its the best for your development. Especially when you are in good form and can hold your own at that level!!! And if they did then I would question there desire to play at the highest possible level. It will do a world of good for his development to play the remainder of this relegation battle. Talking about physchology, young players are more apt to move on from any mistakes. Also what age is then acceptable to play a Goalkeeper as no 1? maybe next year will be to early to?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast