+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home form of late

Home form of late

Would be why (if) we got relegated. We really have failed in our home games the last 5 or so.

re: Home form of late

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkDust
    Would be why (if) we got relegated. We really have failed in our home games the last 5 or so.
    Not won at home since the Sheffield thrashing on 1st February, eight games ago. That is a worrying statistic. We are now approaching the middle of April.

2 points from a possible 18 at HOME last 6 matches really is relegation form.

Just read SD report on the match today and he obviously watches different games than we do...

As said before, not sure he and the board will be too concerned about L2 as its easier matches and better chance for the academy lads to come in at that level and gates will probably be about the same apart from the odd ones like today with the away support.

So we are worrying more than they are imo..

Everyone knows including Steve that he would be on his bike by now anywhere else.

Yes, in other teams, SD would have been sacked by now, but then again by the same definition Dario would not have lasted very long (we did get relegated quite earl in his reign), and I think we did well to keep him on.

All I would add is that if it had been their centre forward making that challenge on Duggy or Ellis I would have said that the referee was not doing his job properly if there hadn't been a red card - jumped from the side with his arm flailing at the defender. I haven't seen it on the TV as yet but my impression was that the whistle blew before the contact, which makes it an even more ridiculous challenge (although I could just as easily be wrong about that).

Having said that, the referee didn't do his job properly for the entire second half and, as has been pointed out, Guthrie was clearly pushed for the second goal, just as Toots seemed to be pushed when he penalised a few minutes earlier.

I thought the Back 5 and Grant played pretty well today against the alleged best team in the League; just a pity that the others (apart from glimpses from Byron) that the others seemed a bit clueless and over-elaborated. MotM was certainly a contest between the 3 Gs . . with the best of them wi

I'm not saying that SD should be sacked, just that at most other clubs some managers are sacked after even a small run of defeats. Its not quite the same as DG at the start as he was developing the youth policy and facilities and even then he was virtually sacked when the fans turned on him as even then, their patience ran out. Indeed as it did with Steve Holland. Look what a favour we did him?

Steve has shown very poor judgement this season in many ways and should not be free to escape the criticism for our league position that was so hard to come by and so easily given away needlessly. If the team is playing poorly Steve, don't leave it to the last 15 or 20 mins to make subs that may or may not work but that is why you get paid.

I haven't seen Grant as much as you guys but in the matches I have, he has not impressed me at all in that he sees a lot of the ball and runs around a lot granted..(sorry for the pun) but I don't see him making the killer pass or having a shot on goal that a lot of midfielders do like that guy from oldham did etc or a Murphy did. OK he's not in that quality but for me why our midfield is virtually non existent. Ball is going from the back four lumped up field and it coming back. Grant seems to be playing more of a defender like a full back would..

Maybe I'm being unfair though?

Inman would be better playing deeper in that midfield role rather than trying to be a winger whereby he is knackered trying to do that.

You're being unfair MikeSB. I was very dubious of Grant in the first weeks of the season but that was found to be both he and Osman couldn't play together as both trying to do the same role. Grant is not Murphy. Grant is a holding midfielder who will break the play up and give the ball simple, but actually has more range than Osman. Grant is what Osman was to Murphy. What we don't have is a Murphy! I like George Evans but his performances have really dropped off in recent weeks, he looks lost. Maybe Inman playing alongside Grant may be an option to give that drive? Inman will run with the ball and will take people on, which is exactly what Murphy did. Or what I am favouring is Billy Waters in there. Billy has really impressed me when he has come on, not least for his attitude, he really looks like he wants to succeed and gives his all. Doesn't shy away from receiving the ball (against Wolves down to 10 men and losing he came on and wanted the ball).

Where I do agree is th

I'll go with all you guys that have a different opinion on Granty but would question what is a 'holding' midfielder? In my simple view the midfield is so crucial and the midfield have to 'create' and go for broke when they can as the defence is backing off waiting for the pass and gives the chance of a shot at goal.

I used to play right half as it was called back then and scored a hat trick in one game and was always on the look out to have a go. I would have hated staying around the centre of the pitch just breaking up play...

That 29 year old midfielder from Oldham could have made all the difference to our team and they signed him on loan and so players like that are available but as said maybe he was out of our wages limits even though Oldham are the same size and similar gates as us and without all our millions...but we have done that to death now lol.

I bow to all your opinions on Grant though..

It's difficult MikeSB for us to establish what we need. We concede goals left right and centre so you would think a holding midfielder would sure that up, but it doesn't seem too. We are not good enough in this league to simply go for it with two attacking midfielders. I know the Oldham midfielder you are on about but what I would say is, was he that good, or were we that poor on that day? In my opinion we got away with a point against Oldham, they outplayed us for 93 minutes, then Davis popped up with an equaliser. So I am not sure how good that lad is as Oldham are still in the relegation mix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast