+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Attacking Flair

Our Attacking Flair

Last Season we won because we moved forward at pace and had players that could really hurt opposition.

Against Celtic I understand 5 at the back and only one up front.

In cup game and in most games I'd expect to play Ojamma at one side, Ainsworth at the other, supported by our wing backs with the potential to really hurt teams.

I'm lost as to why 1) Ainsworth is typically left on the bench this season 2)Why Ojamma isn't playing from the start and 3) why they're both not in the first team together.

We've had something like 2 shots on target per game, it's as clear as tomorrow is Friday that we need more of an attacking force, Surely we should play the few players who do have pace and do know how to hurt teams.

re: Our Attacking Flair

For a start we are playing with only one striker and an immobile one at that. That puts us at an immediate disadvantage, attacking wise.

I'm puzzled as to why Ainsworth has been benched so much given his goals tally last season, our keeness to re-sign him and his pace. Ojamaa - a short term loan and already a month has passed with him hardly kicking a ball.

As Stuart McCall seems inclined to go with a lone striker, its all the more important that the midfield links with him and supports him. That just isn't happening. Vigurs, Lawson, Carswell, Lasley and Leitch are all one paced and unable to fulfill that role. Time after time last night they failed to advance in support of Sutton. Josh Law - signed as an attacking midfielder just hasn't cut it for me and hasn't linked well with Sutton.

Stuart McCall is risk averse as we know well by now and given the opportunity will always go with the defensive or cautious option.

There you have it.

I always thought McCall's philosophy was if you score 2 we'll score 3. This season seems to be a bit different as he seems to be approaching with bit more caution, maybe that's why we are looking more solid at the back. As for Ainsworth, I don't think he's been match fit from the start of the season and he's not 100% yet. Ojamma wasn't getting his game over in poland because he was recovering from injury.

Maybe 2 or 3 years ago but last season I'm not so sure. Typically we'd take a single goal lead at home and then sit back, defend very deeply and try to soak up pressure. This season its been safety first for the most part. Wrong approach in a knock out game such as Wednesday. That doesn't mean I'm advocating cavalry charge tactics incidentally, but its soul destroying watching a lone striker get the ball and his midfielders refusing to move up to support him.

Agree. If he wants to play with a lone striker we need quick mobile players to get up to support him quickly. We don't have that at the moment. Maybe when Ainsworth and ojamma start to get it together we may see a bit more support for Sutton.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)