+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now the dust has settled on Saturday...

Now the dust has settled on Saturday...

...I do think a little perspective is called for.
    Reading a few Saints' forums, I guess that after a sensational scoreline like that some fans cn be forgiven for getting excited, but I think some are going a little overboard. One poster has claimed that we are "stone cold guaranteed minimum sixth place", whilat I read one comment that says we "must now be considered serious title contenders"! Really?
    No-one is loving the current state of affairs more than me, and it seems incredible to say it but it's true - we really have got a better side than last year and a vastly inflated bank account to go with it. Although I do find the slagging off of certain ex-players a tad tiresome (probably by by those who were singing they were "off to Brazil" 6 months ago).
    So I'll keep enjoying the great stuff we're playing and loving the fact that we're entertaining the nation ("Southampton are the Real F**cking Deal" according to one fan tonight). How far can we go? Time will tell...

re: Now the dust has settled on Saturday...

Were 24 points from safety

It will be interesting to see where we are on New Years Day after we've played Arsenal twice, Chelsea, Man U and City

Top ten would be a massive achievement after all that was said and done in the summer.

If we get equal or better 8th that would be remarkable.

In one way we are already better that last season, because we are taking cup competitions seriously.

Saturday was another 'I was there game'. Will live long in the memory but you still only get 3 points.

Honestly, i think RK and the entire club are expecting and hoping for more than just top ten guys. I have no doubt they knew exactly what they were doing in the summer by offloading the trash and bringing in the likes of Tadic, Pelle etc. I think what has happened this year has been a simple case of improving on what we had. We had a better leader now than NC, better manager than MP and better players than last season. I would be disappointed with less than 6th to be honest, especially when you take into account the fact Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Everton all look worse than last season.

Too much of a realist to do nothing but think along the same lines as Shotters at the moment, safety first then anything on top of that is a bonus.

Gut feeling 8th, anything higher will be superb in my book. Whilst the big boys will spend heavily again in Jan we'll have what will seem like two new signings in the return of JRod & JWP that will add some depth to our squad. This time last year we were doing well then lost Boruc & Wanyama over the Xmas period which left us short and thus had an adverse affect on results so always cautious.

We will have a dip i'm sure but it's during those times it's worth reflecting on the 8-0 win for what it was, it shouldn't be a case of one game meaning we're heading for Europe...

Just out of interest, who is the one player that if he got injured would make a massive difference to your team? ie, no obvious replacement. Tadic?

Quote Originally Posted by chiswickmart
    Just out of interest, who is the one player that if he got injured would make a massive difference to your team? ie, no obvious replacement. Tadic?
    Should Tadic have to miss out, RK could deploy a 3-5-2 playing Bertrand and Clyne out wide and with Jose, Toby and Gardos at the back.

If anything I would say Forster, although I sense that Cropper is ready to show what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Joffyw
    Too much of a realist to do nothing but think along the same lines as Shotters at the moment, safety first then anything on top of that is a bonus.
    That was my feeling at the start of the season - still is, to some extent - but I look at the squad they have assembled and see no less ability, with more unity, more balance, more depth. Who knows what they can achieve ? For me, top 10 would be great, top 8 even better. As Shotts says, I'd like to see how we stand after December and our run against the big guns before making any predictions.

Just enjoying the ride at the moment, and will take each game as it comes,once 50 points are reached I will happy and anything more will be quality. Tadi[!]263; would be a major miss,but sure RK has a plan in place.

Mr Bangkok, surely it's a little harsh to label those that left as "trash"?
    Although I was discussing this in the Royal Oak after the game, and I'd be interested to know what others think - of those that left, who would get in the current team now? Or to put it another way - who hasn't been more than adequately replaced?
    Answer in my opinion - the only one I would put back in the side given the chance is Lovren, he's having some difficulties at the moment but is a class act.
    As for everyone else, including Shaw and Lallana - they'd be on the bench in the current set-up.
    I never lost faith (cough) that the club knew what they were doing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast