+ Visit Birmingham City FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Rowetts spin on tactics against watford

Gary Rowetts spin on tactics against watford

borrowed from sha , a decent read from someone who is a footballing coach and proper manager , read and think of lee clarks response to a 4 nil alternate scoreline.

Rowett explained: “We had 18 shots at goals against a team that were top of the league for a short while and I felt whenever we worked a bit of movement wide – particularly down Paul Caddis’ (right) side and he got some really good balls into the box – and whenever we got the ball in the box, I thought we looked really dangerous.

“We got into some good positions and we could have done that a little bit better.

“With a team like Watford, it is important to change your shape a little bit and we went with the two sitting [midfielders] and the one in front (Shinnie). The reason behind that was to fill the pockets just off our back four, which we felt Watford would try to drop in and exploit.

"Watford play with really good rotation in there and they play with lots of movement and sometimes you have to stay patient and keep y

re: Gary Rowetts spin on tactics against watford

So it is rocket science after all. Happy days. KRO

Quote Originally Posted by cello
    So it is rocket science after all. Happy days. KRO
    I don't think its rocket science; but it is good basic coaching and you learn this stuff doing a level two badge. Nice to know we now have a manager who paid proper attention; and who understands the value of flexibility.

What I liked about Rowett at Wolves was that he stayed quite calm and we didn't see the hysterical behaviour and histrionics we used to see from Clark. I think that is more disturbing than helpful to the players as well as making the perpetrator appear more than faintly ridiculous

I am quite impressed by the fact we took 18 pots at Watford's goal. That's more than we have had in three games at times recently.

Anderlecht showed last night that even at 0-3 you can still be a chance if you believe in what you're good at and don't give up. Let's hope that our blokes have taken in their excellent example.

I have just looked at the Watford highlights on the Blues Youtube channel. I think Rowett does pay attention and is a good listener, because the cohesive attacking play involving the fullback on view looked a lot like Trevor Francis' teams to me - what do others think?

The boy done good. Ten out of ten for his homework.

agreed mate , they were a cohesive unit, there was backing up and support in all areas , the only real lapse was for the equaliser , a couple of defenders failed to react to the palmed save , knowing it is one of randolphs phoibles ( i don;t think he could do much else in this case though ) you would think they'd be onto it. One thing i've picked up on from comments is that we break with real speed and last night more potency , whereas under clark it was one player making a break then looking around to find everyone else 30yds back down the pitch. we might not win em all but there is reason for optimism , i think rowett will have many more tricks up his sleeve, he's obviously a good man manager too as all the players looked well up for it and responded well if subbed , again subs at the right time and correct players used

Every time I have heard him interviewed he displays a quiet assurance which is remarkable (although obviously necessary, especially given the circumstances that he inherited!) I presume, it is also as likely to inspire the same confidence from the players as it already has with me as a supporter.
    Clearly there will be ups and downs, and our season may yet end badly, but at least I feel there is some hope now, which, in such a short time, is again remarkable.

Remarkable is an understatement, even if you have someone at the helm who knows what they are doing. Sure, most new managers (like a new broom) get a bounce in performance but what GR has done has the promise of much more. The road ahead will never be straightforward yet I am further encouraged by the fact that 50% of the board is in the UK and they have "put their head above the parapet" (their words) Give him the time afforded to previous occupants and who knows what may happen, but for now lets continue to be pleased that pride has been restored more quickly than we dared hope for. KRO

Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    a couple of defenders failed to react to the palmed save , knowing it is one of randolphs phoibles ( i don;t think he could do much else in this case though ) you would think they'd be onto it.
    Just looked at it again yes it was very sporting of Robinson to get out of the way of the shot rather than charging the shooter still it's a bot like learning to walk again for the players right now i suspect. Good to get this kick start; let's hope it can continue as its nice to feel positive again. I feel he player's were underachieving previously; Rowett seems to have created an appropriate team ethic by the simple trick of promoting team work. keep it going please Mr GR

I am impressed at the way the players have responded to GR and hope it continues. I was surprised to see Donaldson in so much space on Watford's 6 yard line for the second goal but, if you knock on the door 18 times in a game, sooner or later someone's going to leave it unlocked. The best kind of luck is the luck you make for yourself.
    KRO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)