+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: a leaper doesnt make a striker

a leaper doesnt make a striker

what is it with rotherham fans that only judge a striker on his ability to jump high and win headers when our players just lump it forward. We have judged players like this for years, is it because we have spent so many years in the lower leagues we generally think that is what a striker is judged on. Is that how you judge a striker when you watch premier league on TV? If it is you must think Aguero, Costa, wallcott, suarez etc are rubbish then.

We are playing in the championship, we should play the ball through midfield, play out from the back and use the channels and width for forward balls. All that suits Derbyshire, Bowery and Ward a lot better than lumping it forward. I was amazed on here this pre-season when I read some of you want to put halford up front as a "big man" to win headers, that is what you do in emergency situations only, we have to be better than that we have to play to the strengths of the players we have if we don't we will be back in L1 very quickly, then you

re: a leaper doesnt make a striker

Obviously this stems from the Bowery thread but it's twisting the argument. My comments on Bowery's heading abilities weren't a justification of our long ball tactics simply a comment on his ability to deal with them. I'd much rather see us adopt a more patient, controlled, passing game but that doesn't seem to be in our coaching manual. The key point is that we should be utilising a style of play that best suits our abilities - at the moment we are clearly not.

It wasn't aimed at you leeds it was a general comment about what a lot of people say, and something i believe is a real issue with Rotherham fans mentality

If he was a leper he could laugh his head off at all the daft things written about him.

Totally agree Derby. I would be delighted if we could get Tom Lawrence on loan from Leicester as he's strong, technically gifted and holds the ball up superbly. Please let's not have another big lad as this will inevitably lead to the ball being lumped forward to him whether or not that was the original plan.
    If there are occasions in a game when we need to go direct we can always put Halford up front.