+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January window

January window

Even though it is still mid November I hope the management's thoughts are looking to the January window for a major boost to our playing staff.

We desperately lack a strong midfielder who can hold the play up, plus a creative midfielder like McShane who could do wonders for our fast young forwards. Perhaps we might be able to persuade Ross County to get McShane on loan until the end of the season, as he has had little game time apart from the recent Celtic match?

The other area in which we are desperately lacking is defence, and a tall, strong and relatively mobile addition would boost the confidence of Higgins, Marshall and Thomson.

Looking further ahead, I'd like to see the squad made up of as many Dumfries lads as possible. Perhaps Denny Johnston and Aaron Muirhead could be persuaded to join the club for next season?

re: January window

I think at the moment we need a solid right-back a solid left-back, a central midfielder and a taller centre forward. Marshall is doing fine at left-back but his pace and crossing ability would be better utilised in midfield. We've needed a right-back since last season. Dowie stepped in and played well.but a new right-back is a must.We've tried various pairings in central midfield and none of them work, just someone who can tackle, move the ball quickly,keep possession, and score the odd goal.A taller centre forward would be handy to hold the ball up in certain games and to link play, as well as a goal threat at set pieces. To be honest Queens will probably only get one or two players in and i'd rather it was a right-back and central midfielder if that was the case.

I have to disagree with this. There is no way Queens will be promoted this season, there is also very little danger that we will be relegated. I think we should be off loading some of the players who we must be paying wages to, but are hardly playing. Give some of the younger guys like Hooper, Pickard and Smith a chance with the hope that they develop a bit for next season, save some of the wage bill, and give it a right good go next season when hopefully Rangers and Hibs will both be out of the league. I look at the examples of Hamilton, Ross County and Partick. None of them were consistent top 4 finishers, but they had one season when they gave it a right good go, got into the SPL, and stayed there.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi
    Even though it is still mid November I hope the management's thoughts are looking to the January window for a major boost to our playing staff.

We desperately lack a strong midfielder who can hold the play up, plus a creative midfielder like McShane who could do wonders for our fast young forwards. Perhaps we might be able to persuade Ross County to get McShane on loan until the end of the season, as he has had little game time apart from the recent Celtic match?

The other area in which we are desperately lacking is defence, and a tall, strong and relatively mobile addition would boost the confidence of Higgins, Marshall and Thomson.

Looking further ahead, I'd like to see the squad made up of as many Dumfries lads as possible. Perhaps Denny Johnston and Aaron Muirhead could be persuaded to join the club for next season?
    It would be wonderful if we had a team of youngsters all from Dumfries playing glorious attacking footb

No point in barracking individual players but its a free country and I can fully understand some fans booing etc
    as even you Shanty will admit the football on show at Palmy this season has been extremely poor - we were even
    second best in two recent home games we somehow won - Morton and Dumbarton. Big improvement needed this
    week in our last Saturday home game of 2015 before a run of 4 away games out of 5.

Agree we need a right back but Dowie did fine last season playing there. Gets skinned in one single game and that's him relegated from the position. A Defender should be first priority for sure.

Get some pedegree in there as well not some silly young untested players who ''might'' be OK. We also badly need height!!!

Instant money saver. Return the loanee who's doing a fine job of warming the bench week in week out. What a utter waste of money!

well me first priority during the window would be to release tapping cant afford to pay a wage to this guy ,which will free up a wage for someone ,then id be looking for a midfield general type ,queens desperately need a full on energy type midfielder .

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans
    Agree we need a right back but Dowie did fine last season playing there. Gets skinned in one single game and that's him relegated from the position. A Defender should be first priority for sure.

Get some pedegree in there as well not some silly young untested players who ''might'' be OK. We also badly need height!!!

Instant money saver. Return the loanee who's doing a fine job of warming the bench week in week out. What a utter waste of money!
    You are correct in saying Dowie done a fine job at right back, that is considering that isn't even his position. We certainly lacked something in a going forward sense when Andy was there though. Right back was a priority signing to make .

People have to remember that Fowler is only 34 and will make mistakes just like everyone else would. I have no doubt that he will be a successful manager in the years to come although most likely elsewhere. -----We have kinda got ourselves into a niche position where up and coming bosses come to us to learn their trade and then when they have experience , move on straight away to a bigger club. We have seen it time and time again. Queens are developing managers for other clubs , its that simple . Maybe next time we should be looking for a grizzled, old boss that is not too attractive to others and has been around the block a few times . In fact , I am not sure of this but its worth talking about.

Can see where your coming from Tapping hardly kicked a ball. he is under contract till the end of the season and would be entitled to be paid in full so does not really free up a wage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)