+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We Breath Again!

We Breath Again!

Well, thank god that's another transfer window closed.

Why do we have to go through this every six months? Alan Burrows and the "Money Men" may think (and broadcast to the world) that we are a "selling club", but that is of no interest to the majority of fans who turn up week-in week-out to forget about their own money worries for a couple of hours. If we have to continually sell off our best players in order to 'survive', then we are doing something very wrong. The Club exists to play football and entertain spectators, not to make money, and if it can't do that, what's the point of it all?

Clearly MFC is not entertaining spectators - its static 4500 attendances prove that - so if it can't survive at its current level without this carry-on, what can or are we going to do about it?

In my youth, I supported a club which only 'participated' in the old First Division for a few woeful years, and now plugs away happily in the Championship. It turns over players for many reasons, but its fans don't dread the 31st January. It has steadied at a financial level it can handle, and having its season ruined by the loss of key players is not on anybody's lips - I think they are much happier fans, enjoying their football. Aye, it still thinks its a big fish in a wee pond, but at least that pond doesn't have to "entertain" the Ugly Sisters! Should we cut our cloth likewise?

I feel a debate coming on ......

I would much rather have players good enough that their departure "ruins" our season than have a level of player which has us bobbing along in the Championship by default. If we want to hit our potential, never mind occasionally 'punch above our weight', that attitude is just bizarre.

If you take a look at our finances, you'll see we clearly don't exist to make money. But budgeting for realistic sales is only sensible - we know they'll come and allow us to have these better players for a spell rather than budgeting for the bare minimum.

What MFC is for is an altogether different question...I guess it means different things to different people, not least a sense of belonging and a focal point for the community. On one hand professional football is about winning things but for any club at our level, making that your be all and end all is just daft. As for entertainment, it depends...McCall produced record wins, goals and points, and league finishes unmatched by anyone other than Hunter yet was still regularly slated by some because we buggered the cups. Robinson has built what could generously be described as a cup team - the style we play certainly brings out grumbles week in week out but on the other hand he was a lucky 45 minutes away at Hampden from becoming a Motherwell immortal.

It is what it is, as the gloriously meaningless phrase de jour goes.

he significant aspect of this window for me is that we turned down a sizeable offer for one of our players. Not so long ago our financial position would have forced a sale and now we are able to pick and choose. That suggests that we are moving in the right direction and that we have some ability to build a team.

If we ran the club on gate and commercial income only we would be in the Championship with a smaller, poorer squad and a much reduced backroom staff. We have to sell but, at last, we can do so when it suits us rather than having to sell on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    Not so long ago our financial position would have forced a sale and now we are able to pick and choose.
    A valid point, though it doesn’t always seem like we (the paying customers) get a choice. My own point, however, is that we should not be selling, certainly not at the level of recent years, yet what is the alternative. Maybe I’ve just still got a touch of the Moult Blues.

My 2 bob's worth ... these last few years our club has taken great steps forward in many different aspects, on and off the field.
    In essence, we're a premier club that knows it's place and strives to remain at that place - mid-table. We've got some great people around the place who bleed claret n amber (employees and supporters). Leaving aside the negatives, consider this;
    - one of, if not, the best playing surface in the land after being rightly slated for years by all un sundry.
    - we no longer sell 'on the cheap'. I for 1 was delighted we gave the Manky Mob a 2 finger salute over their 'take it or leave it' offer for T Carson.
    - brilliant season tkt pricing designed to encourage families and next generation supporters.
    - new marketing / sponsorship initiatives that seem to be ramping up in terms of financial gain.
    - a much better shopping facility with more modern and 'wanted' purchases.
    - a superb community engagement programme for underprivileged and lesser abled people that's now being copied by other teams of our like.
    - a truly fan-owned club.
    - every player I can remember signing these last few years goes out his way to say how welcome he's made to feel, and that's now evident with our ladies team as well. No coincidence FP is regularly used for Scottish Ladies international matches?
    - a Cup Final appearance already this season ... dare to dream of a 2nd?
    There's many, many more pluses than minuses at this time of our club's history, and I've not included all that I could 'cos I'm knackered and going to bed.

Personally, I think all should be proud of what we are, where we are, and the strategy our club clearly has going forward.

Anyhow ... sieb1886 - News at 10 - Motherwell !

Quote Originally Posted by brain View Post
    Why do we have to go through this every six months? Alan Burrows and the "Money Men" may think (and broadcast to the world) that we are a "selling club", but that is of no interest to the majority of fans who turn up week-in week-out to forget about their own money worries for a couple of hours. If we have to continually sell off our best players in order to 'survive', then we are doing something very wrong. The Club exists to play football and entertain spectators, not to make money, and if it can't do that, what's the point of it all?

Clearly MFC is not entertaining spectators - its static 4500 attendances prove that - so if it can't survive at its current level without this carry-on, what can or are we going to do about it?
    Whether or not we are a selling club may not matter to fans but what would matter to them is if the club ceased to exist. We have always been a selling club for as long as I can recall as are most clubs these days. If we didn't sell players for profit then we'd be languishing in the second division at best. Our club aims to balance the books no more no less.

I would say our club is continuing to entertain spectaors, although the current team certainly isn't the best in pure footballing terms. Our attendances have remained relatively static for decades.

The 'selling club' thing is also a bit ridiculous in the current transfer market...there are about two or three clubs in the entire world who may claim they are genuinely not but arguably that's because they haven't been tested yet. Everyone else just gets on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    My 2 bob's worth ... these last few years our club has taken great steps forward in many different aspects, on and off the field.
    In essence, we're a premier club that knows it's place and strives to remain at that place - mid-table. We've got some great people around the place who bleed claret n amber (employees and supporters). Leaving aside the negatives, consider this;
    - one of, if not, the best playing surface in the land after being rightly slated for years by all un sundry.
    - we no longer sell 'on the cheap'. I for 1 was delighted we gave the Manky Mob a 2 finger salute over their 'take it or leave it' offer for T Carson.
    - brilliant season tkt pricing designed to encourage families and next generation supporters.
    - new marketing / sponsorship initiatives that seem to be ramping up in terms of financial gain.
    - a much better shopping facility with more modern and 'wanted' purchases.
    - a superb community engagement programme for underprivileged and lesser abled people that's now being copied by other teams of our like.
    - a truly fan-owned club.
    - every player I can remember signing these last few years goes out his way to say how welcome he's made to feel, and that's now evident with our ladies team as well. No coincidence FP is regularly used for Scottish Ladies international matches?
    - a Cup Final appearance already this season ... dare to dream of a 2nd?
    There's many, many more pluses than minuses at this time of our club's history, and I've not included all that I could 'cos I'm knackered and going to bed.

Personally, I think all should be proud of what we are, where we are, and the strategy our club clearly has going forward.

Anyhow ... sieb1886 - News at 10 - Motherwell !
    Well said......You don't fancy some brexit negotiations do you Sieb?

Don't get me going on Brexit mate !!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)