Next season

We are left with the back 5 that finished the season, Stearman and Freeman. Throw in the young lad Bryan who seems a long way away. I would not be shocked if the five that finished the final game start the first game. All five were consistent most off the season. Stevens, O’Connell and Egan are shoe ins for me to be main stays to begin with. I think Baldock played well and will get the chance to start but will see tougher tests at a higher level and has to improve his final output. Bash will be around and play his part in a few positions and feel with other areas we need to improve in, he will also get the starting shot at things. We need serious cover here though. We need a left wing back definitely to compete with Stevens and also maybe a right wing back – Freeman will stay around but was not consistent enough at Championship level and would get destroyed attacking wise at a higher level I feel – again an area we may need to upgrade over time. Stearman is a steady eddy but lacks pace and strength as shown when we struggled the previous season. He again will be kept around for now but we need at least one cover centre back; maybe two. It is not inconceivable to say we need maybe 4 new players here to compete with the 5 that are already here. Would love us to sign the lad James from Chelsea (been on loan at Wigan) as he can play midfield too but fear he may got to a club with more financial clout. I see us signing maybe someone like Jake Cooper from Millwall as cover and he may got back for the lad Lenighan at Blackburn if it is just for cover options but the reality is neither of these are good enough but he may have to get these types in using his funds and big spending for the areas higher up the pitch.

Player / Position Years remaining (contract expires)

Defenders

Martin Cranie Out of contract (2019) - released
Daniel Lafferty Out of contract (2019) - released
Jake Bennett Out of contract (2019)
Stephen Mallon Out of contract (2019)
Keenan Ferguson Out of contract (2019)
George Cantrill Out of contract (2019)
Jake Wright 1 year (2020) – transfer listed
Rhys Norrington Davies 1 year (2020)?
Sam Graham 1 year (2020)
Ben Heneghan 1 year (2020) – transfer listed
George Baldock 1 year (2020)