+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Choices hamper transfer activity?

Bad Choices hamper transfer activity?

What concerns me is the transfer choices SD has made in recent times. We have spent approx £30m on three players who have not featured. Wells £5m, Vydra £9m and Gibson £15m. There are others such as Lennon and Hart but unsure how much we paid if anything. If I was a director managing BFC finances I would be very cautious when releasing monies for transfers - may be this is why we have not spent much in this and previous windows. Possibly the Board, whilst happy with the playing set up by SD, are not so happy with his choice of new palyers. Basically £30m + has been wasted - money the club cannot afford to waste. So what now?? It looks like bad choices are at the heart of our lack of transfer activity.

I have often considered this issue lancaster100. My understanding is that Dave Baldwin, SD and three others decide on the "target" and then go and plead their case to get a cheque signed. Ultimately Mike Baldwin has the final say.
    If I had been persuaded to spunk £30 million on Gibson, Vydra and Wells, I would be equally reluctant to getting the old pen out. Would you?

I agreed with the above. However, you have to recognize that all clubs sign player that don't work out, even Fergie had players like Veron. Wells does'nt look up to this level, but the other 2 have not played enough games to say how good they really are and all clubs need quality in reserve for injuries etc. My big transfer concern is our ongoing inability to add quality to the midfield. Dyche is already saying we have to"manage" Defour. That gives us 3 fit central midfield payers essentially at the start of a new season and they are the same as last year with all the pros and cons they bring with them. Why can't we get anyone in to the midfield that can add something different? We had a lot of time and have known about this issue for an age I just can't believe that we can't find someone to add pace and vision/creativity to what we already have. It is worrying, as we look like starting with essentially the same 11 as last season with a slightly stronger bench!!!
    Last edited by Deadlydave; 28-07-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlydave View Post
    I agreed with the above. However, you have to recognize that all clubs sign player that don't work out, even Fergie had players like Veron. Wells does'nt look up to this level, but the other 2 have not played enough games to say how good they really are and all clubs need quality in reserve for injuries etc. My big transfer concern is our ongoing inability to add quality to the midfield. Dyche is already saying we have to"manage" Defour. That gives us 3 fit central midfield payers essentially at the start of a new season and they are the same as last year with all the pros and cons they bring with them. Why can't we get anyone in to the midfield that can add something different? We had a lot of time and have known about this issue for an age I just can't believe that we can't find someone to add pace and vision/creativity to what we already have. It is worrying, as we look like starting with essentially the same 11 as last season with a slightly stronger bench!!!
    Well DD we don't have the Europa league to contend with this season so we should be able to get off to a better start this time round.

Everybody on here to a person knows we need another central midfielder. Wells, Vydra and Gibson all smacked of desperation signings to me and almost everyone else on here thinks the same.

Surely, we can't all be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post
    What concerns me is the transfer choices SD has made in recent times. We have spent approx £30m on three players who have not featured. Wells £5m, Vydra £9m and Gibson £15m. There are others such as Lennon and Hart but unsure how much we paid if anything. If I was a director managing BFC finances I would be very cautious when releasing monies for transfers - may be this is why we have not spent much in this and previous windows. Possibly the Board, whilst happy with the playing set up by SD, are not so happy with his choice of new palyers. Basically £30m + has been wasted - money the club cannot afford to waste. So what now?? It looks like bad choices are at the heart of our lack of transfer activity.
    It is possible that the board are reluctant to fund Dyche because they suspect he might spunk the money on rubbish players, Wells was, and still is, a mystery signing, I remain convinced it must have been money going to the taxman or something if we didn't spend it, so he took a punt on him. Vydra looks like money flushed down the toilet, Gibson has hardly had a chance, so I'm not writing him off yet, but there are others besides, Dyche has probably had as many failures as successes with his signings. But I'm a big fan of Dyche, it may be that he's just not a very good judge of a footballer, and he's not to be trusted with our money, but I tend more to the view that some of his poor signings were down to being underfunded, but they were the best he could do at the time, given more money he could have gone for better players, and his success rate would have increased, there would have been fewer failures.

But I could be wrong, Lancaster may well be right, and the board are reluctant to fund Dyche because they simply don't trust his judgement, they think it would be good money thrown after bad, and we can't take that risk, we can't afford it. In which case the answer is simple, if the board don't trust Dyche with the club's money, then they should terminate his contract and appoint a manager they do trust.
    Last edited by sinkov; 28-07-2019 at 02:35 PM.

We got Heaton for nowt, Keane for next to nowt, Gray and Tarkowski for buttons. I can't understand why we make these really silly buys? Wells, Waters, Vydra and Gibson, WTF?

Gents they do still have a value those players

They are assets after all I reckon if we get them out the door we’d get 25 million plus back

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post
    Possibly the Board, whilst happy with the playing set up by SD, are not so happy with his choice of new palyers.

or....Perhaps Lancs - - they're more than happy with his choices - knowing S.D's pattern, after all....it's easier to sit behind the defences, let 'them' take the strain of the assaults - than it is to send a questionable force under untested command, out to attack.....so they doubtless just weiigh up the opposition teams, lokk at their strengths and weaknesses, work the percentages, see where the offensives are likely to come from....as our likely successful raids - expect X losses X draws and X wins etc....add a little freindly luck - get a break here and there and then - cross everything - sure, it's at the desperate end of the game....but it seems to be the high point of Bunleys thinking....so as others, can only hope that we can nudge it up a level.

Last edited by Norder; 29-07-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We got Heaton for nowt, Keane for next to nowt, Gray and Tarkowski for buttons. I can't understand why we make these really silly buys? Wells, Waters, Vydra and Gibson, WTF?
    Was it the influence of Frank MacParland in is brief spell with us that lead to Gray & Tarkowski signing for us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    Was it the influence of Frank MacParland in is brief spell with us that lead to Gray & Tarkowski signing for us ?
    Yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)