+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dover runs out of money

Dover runs out of money

Jim Parmenter plans to put football staff on leave with help from the government after admitting Dover Athletic have run out of money.

The chairman says the club has no option but to seek financial assistance due to a lack of matchday income as a result of the National League being suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The National League is committed to finishing the season, but clubs have said they will struggle to pay player contracts especially when they have no idea when games will be played again.

It has suggested that clubs would be able to put players into furlough which means the government pays 80 per cent of wages as long as the businesses agree to take employees back into work.

And Parmenter says his club has been informed they do qualify.

Parmenter said: "I have offered all footballing staff participation in the government's “furlough” scheme, the details of this are not complete, but I have been informed that it will be applicable in our case.

"The club has run out of money, with no income at all and none likely for the foreseeable future.

"I know some funding is being gathered by some of our loyal supporters for which we are extremely thankful and this will become very important in the months to come.

"My task is to try and navigate us through this difficult time and ensure a footballing future for the town’s club, this will require the cooperation and support of all of our employees footballing and non footballing, as well as much help from the town and community.

"To this end our non football staff have agreed to be redeployed in the ***** task of food distribution and will be able to return when the crisis is over.

"With no funding being offered from the world of football we will need to take advantage of all the fantastic help being offered by the government and by doing this coupled with some financial support from myself and Sally (his wife) I believe we can get through this to play football again."

Parmenter has spoken to his management and player representatives but no they are yet to agree.

But he admits football isn't top of people's thoughts right now.

He said: "Obviously football becomes almost irrelevant at times like this, but like all other enterprises many people find their livelihoods from the game and will need to try and do so when things return to normal.

'We don't want the season made null and void' - Notts County defender Alex Lacey

Notts County's promotion rivals take legal advice over Football League parachute payments
    "Many of you will know I am involved in the governance of the National League so my thoughts on how league matters should be brought to conclusion must remain my own for the time being, but I do intend to speak out when the time is right.

"All I can say is that I find the staggering self interest being displayed by those who can afford to continue to pursue gain from the season by threatening legal action if they don’t get their own way against good people trying to do their best in unprecedented circumstances disgusting beyond further words.

"Some have said the Football Association have failed to show true leadership and gone scuttling behind their antiquated rule books to hide from reality, but I couldn’t possibly comment on that."

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...-money-3995967

That link tells you what's already been posted above.

Some very strong words in that article.
    I can see a scenario where so many clubs go under that we simply resign from the National League and re-join the FL without playing another game. We talk about the football family etc, but at its' core this is a competitive sport, clubs are going to act out of self interest.

Who’s he talking about when he’s on about ‘staggering self-interest’? Clubs who want the season to finish?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Who’s he talking about when he’s on about ‘staggering self-interest’? Clubs who want the season to finish?
    Probably Barrow Harrogate and us.

Yes it isnt good for anyone but I am firmly behind us if we are one of them taking legal action it is only a game to some but to our owners its a business.

Do anyone give a sh#t about us 9 months ago when we were on our knees ? I didnt see much support for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    That link tells you what's already been posted above.
    Yes it does, it tells readers where the article came from and that I didn't make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

Yes it isnt good for anyone but I am firmly behind us if we are one of them taking legal action it is only a game to some but to our owners its a business.

Do anyone give a sh#t about us 9 months ago when we were on our knees ? I didnt see much support for us.
    Would they automatically get promoted if no more games could be played tho?

Null and void would mean it never happened and we start again whenever poss?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Would they automatically get promoted if no more games could be played tho?

Null and void would mean it never happened and we start again whenever poss?
    Barrow will want to play as I said as they wont go up otherwise and that isnt fair to them.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

Yeah, but I don’t see how declaring the season void now helps a club like Dover financially?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Yeah, but I don’t see how declaring the season void now helps a club like Dover financially?
    I dont either as they rely on supporter's attending games and the odd tv game for money.

Far too many clubs live hand to mouth.

Last year I was saying football needs to sort itself out business wise for example if you bring in £2k a month you wouldnt carrying on spending £3k a month at home as soon the sh#t hits the fan.

The explanation someone gave was "Football doesnt work like that" well it will do now and this will go all the way to the top.

This has really brought it home how can a player in the top league earn £200k a week whilst a nurse is on lets say £20-40k a year completely wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast