Get prepared for when football returns - Stock up on PPE now!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Classic FM Top 300

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12,076

    Classic FM Top 300

    At the risk of being abused by BT

    Classic FM are currently counting down the top 300 pieces of classical music as voted for by the listeners.

    They are playing the pieces between 9AM and 9PM over the Easter weekend, finishing on Monday night.

    Vaughan Williams 2The Lark Asending was number one last year but I find it a bit meh.

    Beethoven is my favorite and I voted for his Piano Concert number 5 (The Emperor) and his Symphony number 7.

    Currently playing number 273 which is a bit of Wagner.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,987
    Cheers 59, I'll put it on, I've tried a few radio stations, anything to avoid the dreaded news channels, but trying to fond a dross free one is difficult.

    And don't worry about the barbarians, let 'em whinge.

  3. #3
    Old Grammar school boys simply can't help themselves from putting each other on a perch just above the rest of us plebs. Classic FM has a small, mostly highbrow following; I'm reliably informed most of the "Highbrow Set" reside in the Ribble Valley. FFS get some Jimi Hendricks on!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,987
    As my old mum used to say, 'There's never a show beht Punch'.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,463
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Old Grammar school boys simply can't help themselves from putting each other on a perch just above the rest of us plebs. Classic FM has a small, mostly highbrow following; I'm reliably informed most of the "Highbrow Set" reside in the Ribble Valley. FFS get some Jimi Hendricks on!
    Has he made anything new recently? At least with Elvis, Buddy Holly et al they used to miraculously find unrelelased recordings under the bed --did Jimi not have a bed?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12,076

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Don't get involved in this 59er - it's just mine and Sinkov's annual "Easter wind up"!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Old Grammar school boys simply can't help themselves from putting each other on a perch just above the rest of us plebs. Classic FM has a small, mostly highbrow following; I'm reliably informed most of the "Highbrow Set" reside in the Ribble Valley. FFS get some Jimi Hendricks on!
    Another old Grammar School boy here BT but living in the Irwell Valley. I love the Violin Concertos of Beethoven & Brahms. Both these master composers wrote only a single concerto for this the most popular musical instrument of their day. Hey but when you have penned musical perfection you don’t need a second go.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12,076
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Don't get involved in this 59er - it's just mine and Sinkov's annual "Easter wind up"!
    Aye BT!

    We know you too well

    I only started listening to classical stuff seriously when I was in my late 30's.

    I was lucky enough to spend my formative years in the 60's and 70's and the music was incredible.

    My favorites were Pink Floyd, The Who, Wishbone Ash etc etc. But I also loved all the popular stuff, Motown, Glam Rock etc etc.
    The music was completely different than the stuff that was around before. It was exciting, creative and made a great soundtrack to my life.
    My Uni days revolved round music, ale and footy.

    Happy days!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12,076
    Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Another old Grammar School boy here BT but living in the Irwell Valley. I love the Violin Concertos of Beethoven & Brahms. Both these master composers wrote only a single concerto for this the most popular musical instrument of their day. Hey but when you have penned musical perfection you don’t need a second go.
    Yes Outwood, you have picked two of my favorites there.

    My favorite violin concertos are 1/. Mendelssohn 2/. Bruch 3/. Beethoven

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •