+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Nightclubs Of Your Youth.

Hummingbird, Locarno, The Cedar Club, Barbarellas, Rum Runner, Snobs, Samanthas. If I'm honest, I only enjoyed clubs that had live bands on. Could not stand all that disco dancing DJ'ing bo**ux and only went to them to try and pull and never had a lot of success as I usually ended up pi**ed and was no doubt found to be obnoxious by any decent gal. A pint, a spliff and a good band is what I enjoyed. Now its a cheese and onion sandwich and a mug of Horlicks before a read in bed listening to the bands I used to go and see.

Perhaps some of you old Brummie club goers can help me remember the names of a couple of my favorite hang outs. The first one was at the bottom of Constitution Hill, the building, which is a really nice piece of architecture, is still there. See pic below.

Name:  b6466a8344778e65d80becc838d3ccc2bcdb7975.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  63.6 KB

The other was at the junction of Navigation Street and Hill Street at the back of New Street Station. I remember this one particularly well because I helped push/carry Georgie Fame's organ up the stairs. Also I was standing outside one night and after a tremendous racket from inside "Sandy" from Crossroads came bouncing out on his harris follow by a couple of irate bouncers! The building is gone now and the one below stands in its place.

Name:  6662eab33e398648b10c2a852fb7ab2fd26deb50.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  56.3 KB

Any one remember them?

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Fairly sure The Dome didn't open until the 70's
    The Dome opened for business in 1985 or 1986 from memory, I think it was called The Night Out before that.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Perhaps some of you old Brummie club goers can help me remember the names of a couple of my favorite hang outs. The first one was at the bottom of Constitution Hill, the building, which is a really nice piece of architecture, is still there. See pic below.

Name:  b6466a8344778e65d80becc838d3ccc2bcdb7975.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  63.6 KB

The other was at the junction of Navigation Street and Hill Street at the back of New Street Station. I remember this one particularly well because I helped push/carry Georgie Fame's organ up the stairs. Also I was standing outside one night and after a tremendous racket from inside "Sandy" from Crossroads came bouncing out on his harris follow by a couple of irate bouncers! The building is gone now and the one below stands in its place.

Name:  6662eab33e398648b10c2a852fb7ab2fd26deb50.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  56.3 KB

Any one remember them?
    The first one I think was The Cedar Club. i went there to see Wah Heat during the Handsworth riots. Police had shut off Soho Road at the Hockley Flyover. Had to drive home via Cornwall, or so it seemed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    The first one I think was The Cedar Club. i went there to see Wah Heat during the Handsworth riots. Police had shut off Soho Road at the Hockley Flyover. Had to drive home via Cornwall, or so it seemed at the time.
    Thanks for taking a stab at it mate, I can't remember for sure it was so long ago and like most clubs at the time it changed names a couple of times for sure. I do remember that before going in we used to drink in rough arse pub called The Shakespeare on Temple Street. At the time the pub was notorious for a number of reasons, all good ones, although still there it is unfortunately much gentrified.

The other club was much more well known, as well as Georgie Fame I also saw The Steam Packet, [Julie Driscoll, Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry] and The Dave Clark Five there. The name of the place is on the tip of my tongue I just can't spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Thanks for taking a stab at it mate, I can't remember for sure it was so long ago and like most clubs at the time it changed names a couple of times for sure. I do remember that before going in we used to drink in rough arse pub called The Shakespeare on Temple Street. At the time the pub was notorious for a number of reasons, all good ones, although still there it is unfortunately much gentrified.

The other club was much more well known, as well as Georgie Fame I also saw The Steam Packet, [Julie Driscoll, Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry] and The Dave Clark Five there. The name of the place is on the tip of my tongue I just can't spit it out!
    The Whiskey A Go Go! Knew I would remember it if I wittered on long enough!

I have remembered the name of the other ‘hotel place’ that used to have a music/disco type club on at least one night a week; it was the Park Atwood, I think and I can’t remember where it was! As I said earlier, lots of substances available, lots of fights and one night saw a bloke lying on a car bonnet having been stabbed! Anyone else remember going to the Park Atwood?

I first went in Club Lafayette when I was fif**** and we skipped a four hour maths exam at college to go to the Radio One roadshow. I eventually became a member and used it up until 1974.
    The last time I went in was 1980, ten years after the first time, but it was dying, and at 25 I thought this isn't me anymore. I also went in Dix, the Silver Dollar a couple of times, Chairman of the Board were on the the once, and Polo's one time. A big black man was on the door and i signed the book Robin Hood, Sherwood Forest, while my mate signed Cyrille Regis. We got a table and a woman about forty came and sat next to me and put her head on my shoulder.
    I was never one for nightclubs, i much prefer the pub, i only used to go because they served late, but i didn't really like the people much who went in them.
    Bunch of w ankers most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Dead right mate, the Cedar Club. I found this pic that shows the true location which is just up the hill from the pic that I posted. As soon as I saw it it remembered the entrance, the whole thing. What a dump!

Name:  City Snow Hill The Cedar Club Constitution Hill.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  72.6 KB

Anyone remember the Elbow Room ? And the famous pub next door with the ‘opening bar windows’

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)