Get prepared for when football returns - Stock up on PPE now!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Conway threatens to sue EFL

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    17,537

    Conway threatens to sue EFL

    According to a report in The Athletic by Matt Slater and Nancy Frostick, Barnsley are one of the sides said “considering legal action against the English Football League” if they are relegated and Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County and Birmingham City are allowed to remain in the Sky Bet Championship.

    The growing furore relates to the Owls, Rams and Blues all having current cases brought by the EFL against them. Wednesday and Derby stand accused of circumventing FFP regulations by selling their stadiums to their owners then agreeing a lease back. Birmingham City’s EFL case comes with a breach of a settlement linked to an earlier charge of breaking spending rules.

    The cases against Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County are the ones which hare more pressing and which could have an effect at the bottom of the table. Derby are only 12 points clear of the relegation places, Sheffield Wednesday are worse off and only nine points safe from Charlton in 22nd.

    Gareth Copley/Getty Images Sport

    Barnsley are bottom of the pile and seven points shy of safety but their co-owner, Paul Conway, is in fiery form in his opinion on matters. Commenting on a potential slight, Conway says: “People seem to think little old Barnsley will follow the rules and not make a fuss.”

    The outspoken American then continued by adding: “If we’ve been wronged as a result of the league not following its own rules, then it stands to reason that we’d go against the league and its TV money and ask them to pay us the difference in revenue.”

    On the possibility of points deductions, Conway doesn’t think that this goes far enough. Commenting angrily he adds: “These 12-point sanctions (for going into administration) are ludicrous. In Germany, France, Spain, all over Europe, really, if you don’t pay your bills or you are late with your financials, you get demoted two or three divisions. That’s it. You’re down. We operate in four nations and England is the worst.”

    Bellicose words indeed from Barnsley co-owner Conway on what should happen to sides breaking the rules. The thing is, there’s not many who wouldn’t agree with him.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    15,720
    Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    According to a report in The Athletic by Matt Slater and Nancy Frostick, Barnsley are one of the sides said “considering legal action against the English Football League” if they are relegated and Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County and Birmingham City are allowed to remain in the Sky Bet Championship.

    The growing furore relates to the Owls, Rams and Blues all having current cases brought by the EFL against them. Wednesday and Derby stand accused of circumventing FFP regulations by selling their stadiums to their owners then agreeing a lease back. Birmingham City’s EFL case comes with a breach of a settlement linked to an earlier charge of breaking spending rules.

    The cases against Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County are the ones which hare more pressing and which could have an effect at the bottom of the table. Derby are only 12 points clear of the relegation places, Sheffield Wednesday are worse off and only nine points safe from Charlton in 22nd.

    Gareth Copley/Getty Images Sport

    Barnsley are bottom of the pile and seven points shy of safety but their co-owner, Paul Conway, is in fiery form in his opinion on matters. Commenting on a potential slight, Conway says: “People seem to think little old Barnsley will follow the rules and not make a fuss.”

    The outspoken American then continued by adding: “If we’ve been wronged as a result of the league not following its own rules, then it stands to reason that we’d go against the league and its TV money and ask them to pay us the difference in revenue.”

    On the possibility of points deductions, Conway doesn’t think that this goes far enough. Commenting angrily he adds: “These 12-point sanctions (for going into administration) are ludicrous. In Germany, France, Spain, all over Europe, really, if you don’t pay your bills or you are late with your financials, you get demoted two or three divisions. That’s it. You’re down. We operate in four nations and England is the worst.”

    Bellicose words indeed from Barnsley co-owner Conway on what should happen to sides breaking the rules. The thing is, there’s not many who wouldn’t agree with him.
    To be fair I'm solidly behind Conway on this and appreciate his willingness to take it on .

    I'd imagine the quality of legal representation Conway has at his disposal would be significantly high .

    It sometimes takes a successful case from an underdog to shake the whole thing up and acting as it should .

    Jean Marc Bosman took the whole football world on and won and changed the game forever .

    The EFL may think it's only Barnsley , they might want to reflect that it's owned by a consortium of ruthless foreign capitalists armed with the best legal team money can buy and don't take too kindly to be out of pocket by £7m ..... even though the reality is they f@cked up just as much .

    Go Conway .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    17,537
    It’s the most sense I’ve heard from him

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,731
    Personally I think he talks a load of b ollocks
    Should have spent his time making sure we brought in better quality players with at least some pedigree
    But no, we brought in unknown players from obscure teams ,why because they were cheap & we are where we are
    He may cite Sheffield Wed, Derby and Birmingham but what about most of the others who have presumably not breached FFP rules
    We are where we are because of our performance both on & off the pitch
    Don't give us your usual diatribe, don't threaten just get on with making your legal challenge instead of waffling about it but I'll not hold my breath
    We deserve better than you Mr Conman & I for one am not taken in
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 21-05-2020 at 06:44 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,374
    I think Conway has a point and the authorities need to take the appropriate action for the sake of football. It'd be Interesting to see if he'd hold the same view and persue this with the same vigour if the club were currently sat in mid table and not on the brink of relegation

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    15,720
    Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I think Conway has a point and the authorities need to take the appropriate action for the sake of football. It'd be Interesting to see if he'd hold the same view and persue this with the same vigour if the club were currently sat in mid table and not on the brink of relegation
    It's the £7m Pass isn't it , that's the crux of the matter and obviously due to the pandemic that's become even more of an issue .

    I don't disagree with what he says by any means but the £7m is the real motivation behind this and as you say sat in the middle of the league and championship football guaranteed when football re-starts he probably wouldn't give a shyte .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,272
    Shut up Conway. You dont care that you sell off our best assets and buy back on the cheap and watch us struggle to the point of relegation ... again for the same reason. If by some miracle we were out the relegation danger, I bet you would not be making such a stand and you would keep your legal money in your pocket. Money is all that motivates him and his cheap ass tactics is why we are in the mess we are in. Its a shame all the rest of us have to suffer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,837
    These consortium owner devils are showing what there all about with their buying other clubs and running them in the same way instead of concentrating on one club to achieve success,it's definitely not good for football and the supporters and believe me when it starts to go downhill they'll bale out.
    The football league should make the rule that any consortium or their affiliations can only buy 1 club whether here or abroad

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's the £7m Pass isn't it , that's the crux of the matter and obviously due to the pandemic that's become even more of an issue .

    I don't disagree with what he says by any means but the £7m is the real motivation behind this and as you say sat in the middle of the league and championship football guaranteed when football re-starts he probably wouldn't give a shyte .
    The seven million is a massive crux of the matter its probably half of our turnover.Conway has a right to fight our corner along with Charlton,Luton etc.Don'forget teams like Peterborough who are in the playoff position but under the proposal miss out.I don't think Anthoney will take this lying down.What about Tranmere who have games in hand and were on top form before the virus struck.I think theres along way to go yet on the EFL proposal.Ps not forgetting the cheats who should have there points deduction now not next season.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,803
    If they offered him the choice of £7M or stay in the Championship he'd take the money.
    In fact he'd probably take £14M and relegation to league 2.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •