+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with inept people!

Dealing with inept people!

One of my pet hates are people promoted above their ability or in a position by default that they’re not capable of managing.

Some might be surprised at the level of ineptitude in my industry for example.

The number of people who are supposed to be Sales Directors and Sales Managers who are actually more like “Sales Prevention People” is staggering.

Today I took my four year old BMW in for a service and reminded them that the fuel sensor needed replacing that enables the fuel cap to be opened from inside or by pressing on the cap,it can only be released using the emergency cord hidden away in the boot!

It had failed before my last service but last time I was told I needed to have an almost empty tank of fuel and to turn up for my next service light on fuel,

Today I was told that because I was out of warranty I’d have to pay £108 for starters for it to go on the diagnostic machine yet it had been diagnosed last year.

I was told it was my fault because I could’ve .......”come back at any time” in the last few months to get it done!

This was said to me by the plummy voiced university grad who served me without a shred of irony.

I pointed out they’d been shut during March,April and May when the warranty had run out but apparently this didn’t count.

F u c k i n g inept stupidity and lack of customer appreciation.

She was incredulous when I said I’d continue opening my boot to release the catch.

They don’t get that I’ll win in the end because I’ll trade it in and they won’t know until they own it again but in the meantime they’ve p e e d off a very loyal customer just as I’d started thinking about changing my car.

You can’t teach stupid or indeed inept it seems.

The system is at fault Mick. My wife had tons of experience in her job and often would have young University grads come in as managers who had to constantly ask the staff how to do things. Had no idea. They get a piece of paper which lands them a job but have no common sense or self learning ability. I went into Halfords to buy some brush on underseal. The lad at the till said "We don't stock it" "Are you sure"? I asked. "Yes"
    I turned round and there facing me were tins of brush on underseal. He must have been staring at them for weeks from his desk. No interest in his job, no idea. Inept.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    One of my pet hates are people promoted above their ability or in a position by default that they’re not capable of managing.

Some might be surprised at the level of ineptitude in my industry for example.

The number of people who are supposed to be Sales Directors and Sales Managers who are actually more like “Sales Prevention People” is staggering.

Today I took my four year old BMW in for a service and reminded them that the fuel sensor needed replacing that enables the fuel cap to be opened from inside or by pressing on the cap,it can only be released using the emergency cord hidden away in the boot!

It had failed before my last service but last time I was told I needed to have an almost empty tank of fuel and to turn up for my next service light on fuel,

Today I was told that because I was out of warranty I’d have to pay £108 for starters for it to go on the diagnostic machine yet it had been diagnosed last year.

I was told it was my fault because I could’ve .......”come back at any time” in the last few months to get it done!

This was said to me by the plummy voiced university grad who served me without a shred of irony.

I pointed out they’d been shut during March,April and May when the warranty had run out but apparently this didn’t count.

F u c k i n g inept stupidity and lack of customer appreciation.

She was incredulous when I said I’d continue opening my boot to release the catch.

They don’t get that I’ll win in the end because I’ll trade it in and they won’t know until they own it again but in the meantime they’ve p e e d off a very loyal customer just as I’d started thinking about changing my car.

You can’t teach stupid or indeed inept it seems.
    Do you really need a university grad to work at BMW and deal with warranty issues!? Most (All of the) people I have met in that line of business don’t have university grads.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    The system is at fault Mick. My wife had tons of experience in her job and often would have young University grads come in as managers who had to constantly ask the staff how to do things. Had no idea. They get a piece of paper which lands them a job but have no common sense or self learning ability. I went into Halfords to buy some brush on underseal. The lad at the till said "We don't stock it" "Are you sure"? I asked. "Yes"
    I turned round and there facing me were tins of brush on underseal. He must have been staring at them for weeks from his desk. No interest in his job, no idea. Inept.

Bit of a general statement Boingy! Many big brands have a graduate programme with the aim of propelling graduates right to the top ie senior management/director level and invest a huge amount of money in this recruitment. I can name a couple of very successful companies where individuals who were graduates at John Lewis/TUI who then went on to run the companies as CEO'S and were extremely successful.

Bit of a difference of " graduates " who are carefully recruited at large successful companies and the same title " graduates " used at some poxy little marketing or IT company or in this case a BMW Garage!

Graduate recruitment at most large supermarkets/stores receives around 3000 applicants for less than 20 positions with a minimum of a 2.1 entry and around 4/5 interviews. The starting salary for example at Aldi for a grad is 44K and this will rise to about 78K in 3 years as each grad is expected to become an Area Manager. Don't meet the targets - no ifs and buts they are fired! But most do with large brands as recruitment is done right hence the investment.

I do here what you are saying though about common sense with some - but you could say this about anyone including our Boris but hey - look where he is and he will be worth millions.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Bit of a general statement Boingy! Many big brands have a graduate programme with the aim of propelling graduates right to the top ie senior management/director level and invest a huge amount of money in this recruitment. I can name a couple of very successful companies where individuals who were graduates at John Lewis/TUI who then went on to run the companies as CEO'S and were extremely successful.

Bit of a difference of " graduates " who are carefully recruited at large successful companies and the same title " graduates " used at some poxy little marketing or IT company or in this case a BMW Garage!

Graduate recruitment at most large supermarkets/stores receives around 3000 applicants for less than 20 positions with a minimum of a 2.1 entry and around 4/5 interviews. The starting salary for example at Aldi for a grad is 44K and this will rise to about 78K in 3 years as each grad is expected to become an Area Manager. Don't meet the targets - no ifs and buts they are fired! But most do with large brands as recruitment is done right hence the investment.

I do here what you are saying though about common sense with some - but you could say this about anyone including our Boris but hey - look where he is and he will be worth millions.
    Of course there are exceptions Al but you can never substitute experience which is why people should work their way up rather than just be put in a position of oversight when they cant know the job as well as staff who have been there years. Just basic common sense. Its embarrassing all round.

A mate of mine a retired CEO of a logistics company which relied on repeat business told his sales team the very best order they could get was one off the back of a bolli cking. Everyone makes mistakes but if you can handle it so the customer who began with a negative perception leaves with a positive you have done a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Of course there are exceptions Al but you can never substitute experience which is why people should work their way up rather than just be put in a position of oversight when they cant know the job as well as staff who have been there years. Just basic common sense. Its embarrassing all round.

Decent graduate schemes Boingy with large powerful blue chip companies recruit grads to spend three years working in all departments such as marketing, new product development, purchasing, commercial, operations, customer focus, customer service to get an in depth knowledge of the whole business and then they are fast tracked to the top. I knew a grad years ago and now he's the CEO of a multi national company who turn over many millions - you knew from day one he was going to make it to the top - he was that good and his brain was always top notch. I agree about experience but we are talking about different things - a qualified buyer ( CIPS ) for example usually aspires to become a purchasing director but tends to keep to the role which matches their qualifications. Aldi and some other supermarkets/stores start their grads on over 40K for a reason after 4/5 hard interviews ( one with a board director ) so usually they go on to succeed. Most decent grad schemes won't look at anything less than a 2.1 and with 3000 applicants for less than 20 jobs - it's unlikely they would select an idiot which is why they have a specialized grad recruitment teams and get a director involved.

There are many small companies now though who take on what they call "graduates" and this is just a title and not the same, and in many cases an apprentice could do better. This is probably what you refer to.

Decent graduate schemes Boingy with large powerful blue chip companies recruit grads to spend three years working in all departments such as marketing, new product development, purchasing, commercial, operations, customer focus, customer service to get an in depth knowledge of the whole business and then they are fast tracked to the top. I knew a grad years ago and now he's the CEO of a multi national company who turn over many millions - you knew from day one he was going to make it to the top - he was that good and his brain was always top notch. I agree about experience but we are talking about different things - a qualified buyer ( CIPS ) for example usually aspires to become a purchasing director but tends to keep to the role which matches their qualifications. Aldi and some other supermarkets/stores start their grads on over 40K for a reason after 4/5 hard interviews ( one with a board director ) so usually they go on to succeed. Most decent grad schemes won't look at anything less than a 2.1 and with 3000 applicants for less than 20 jobs - it's unlikely they would select an idiot which is why they have a specialized grad recruitment teams and get a director involved.

There are many small companies now though who take on what they call "graduates" and this is just a title and not the same, and in many cases an apprentice could do better. This is probably what you refer to.
    Sounds very plausible and makes sense, Al.

My dad worked for a finance company owned by Barclays and did the recruiting for his branch.

He had a simple rule......he wouldn’t employ University Graduates.

He did his recruiting from the likes of shop sales staff and car salesman because they’d come through the “university of life” as he used to say.

Back in the 70’s and 80’s he said that grads were “chinless wonders” all full of brains but no common sense.

I follow the same rule at my place and although not perfect I prefer people who are not super educated.

The couple of brain boxes I did take on had to be let go because they were both lazy and full of stupid ideas........wanting to rearrange deckchairs whist the Titanic was sinking types.

I think you’ve overplayed the Graduates theme.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)