+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Heading the ball

Heading the ball

Well the game as I see it is definitely in free fall just a matter of time before heading the ball is wait for It the modern days favourite word ................. banned.

Oh for the days of my favourite player Andy Gray thank god I was a football fan in my ****s so I could enjoy my hero without all this oh so boring pc crap that’s taken over the game.

Give it ten years it will be a non contact sport..... bet ya !!!!

Im not sure but I can see things like the big goal kick being banned, maybe playing the ball low by design. No heading at youth level or in training?
    We have to remember though, how the ball has evolved, gone are the heavy casers with the bladder that became a cannon ball when wet, today the footballs stings rather than pummels.
    Most if not all, who have sadly succummed to this desease, would have played with the cannon ball.
    Limit the heading but do not ban it and keep engineering the ball. If football is being blamed then its only a matter of time Rugby and boxing get banned as well?

Thing is Dave if you start banning a little bit it will not end there the banning brigade are never happy unless they get total compliance.

You know something my old gran died of dementia she was 92 and the funny thing was she never headed a ball in her life to the best of my knowledge I think you call it ...... old age.

As mentioned by Dave, ball technology has changed dramatically since the 70s. Those ‘Caseys’ were like lead weights. Even heavier in the proceeding years. Today's version are like the old ‘plackys’, that the wind would take over the fence, into ‘grumpy bollixes’ garden. And our ‘Mr Johnson’ never threw the ball back, even for a bar of chocolate.

No, today’s balls seem safe enough, but those past ballers and their families need help, as do all people with these terrible diseases. My stepmom never headed a ball either, neither did my in-laws. It does seem to me that heading those rocks in years gone by, accelerates brain disease, as I would imagine Boxing and the like do.

I have no answers, except the correlation is there to see for the footballers of the past. And what about the ‘pub players’, who would have played with far heavier and dangerous ‘caseys’? Who is speaking up for those?

Valid points exiled but we simply do not know that heading a ball leads to these awful diseases later in life.

Personally I believe life’s for living without being dictated to by faceless pontificating people banning everything in sight when there is no hard evidence to show this is the cause of it heading a ball in this case.

Next I’ll be told to scrape the burnt bits off my toast.

Good opinions though guys.

It would be a very different game that’s for sure. That said, many top players don’t like heading the ball. Jack seems adverse but that might be something to messing with his hair rather than a dementia concern and Messi rarely heads it either. Perhaps they could consider punching the ball instead. Maradona was a great advocate of that I seem to remember. Joking aside, it’s definitely a serious debate. Awful disease.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)