Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: The Politics Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    57

    The Politics Thread

    $427bn a year lost to tax abuse by firms and rich individuals, study finds

    https://www.theguardian.com/business...ls-study-finds

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,845
    So where are the police then? Are so of those countries and individuals socialists? The hypocrisy of the left is mind blowing. If you are poor, the last thing you should do is vote commie. Look what happens, tax goes up, you become poorer. Capitalism, or bartering, is handicapped, because the da socialistas think its taking advantage of the working man.

    Trade becomes less effective, taxes go up, the poor suffer. The poor get lessons on being woke, guidance on being queer, and the exaltation of transgender nonsense. No money is spent on improving industry, indeed it will destroy it like British Leyland.

    Look at America today, those saps dont know what theyve done, the democrats dont give a stuff about the poor, its power they are after.

    If you look at the failure of socialism everywhere, at all times what does that say?

    A writer recently observed that the poor are poor because there is a failure to learn. Which is true. The poor keep doing the wrong things, moving out of being poor is automatic if you have some self discipline.

    The same happens on a macro scale, that even though socialism is demonstrably a failure, people still vote for it. Why? The reason is the poor see people getting too rich, and even though the poor have everything they want, they want more, but arnt wiilling to work for it.

    They want it free. You sound like a soviet agent living in a bedsitter in Stevenage, keeping an eye on the marshalling yards. Its ok i know you arnt, but you do still betray this country every time you go to the polls.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,845
    Viva da revolucion. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    A writer recently observed that the poor are poor because there is a failure to learn. Which is true. The poor keep doing the wrong things, moving out of being poor is automatic if you have some self discipline.
    I disagree. Read up on Sam Vimes Boots https://moneywise.com/a/boots-theory...mic-unfairness

    "Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

    But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet."

    This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness."


    Basically the rich can afford to spend less money. They can buy things outright, buy good quality stuff that will last longer, get discounts for buying in bulk or paying a fee annually instead of monthly. The poor don't have the money to do that and often need to buy goods of less quality that need replaced more often ultimately costing them more in the long run. If you need a car to travel to work, the rich can afford to buy one outright, the poor will need to finance it and end up paying far more in interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    The reason is the poor see people getting too rich, and even though the poor have everything they want, they want more, but arnt wiilling to work for it.
    Poor people don't have everything they want though. How would you feel if you were struggling to put food on the table and pay your rent but at the same time you saw people like Bezos hoarding $150 billion, would you not question if that's a fair system or whether some of his wealth should be taxed to provide basic food and shelter for those who need it most?


    Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    They want it free. You sound like a soviet agent living in a bedsitter in Stevenage, keeping an eye on the marshalling yards. Its ok i know you arnt, but you do still betray this country every time you go to the polls.
    I accept you're against socialism but I really do object to that last sentence. Britain is a democracy, everyone gets to have a say in in the political process. I vote for the party I think is best to run the country. Maybe you think my choice of party is wrong and you would prefer a different party, that's fine. But how is taking part in the democratic process betraying the country?
    Last edited by Kessler; 22-11-2020 at 02:05 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    15,753
    Funny, all those years, I never saw Saint Terry as an economic guru.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,845
    I think you prove my point in regards that there is a failure to learn, and that the poor expect to be given money, or in England, food. It beggars belief on my part that in north Norfolk a quarter of children go to school hungry in the morning.

    It seems the parents pay for their luxuries, phones, drugs, subscription tv, tobacco, gambling etc, and put food last on the list. This is a failure to learn, a failure of empathy, a failure of caring. I know this is true, i saw it. What does toast or cereal cost? Even that is missing.

    Then the government gets blamed. Food and heating should be top of any spend.

    Now you are going to tell me the poor do not recieve enough. Not so.

    As for the boots thing, re jig your spending or get another job, or get a job in the first place. Work pays now. All it takes is a little common sense, discipline for a while, then you have money to spare. That then can be re invested on making more wealth, for yourself and your country.

    The bezos thing shows how corrupt your thinking is. I dont begrudge him a penny. Rich people spend money, invest etc. If Bezos buys a roller or a private plane, someone builds it. The builder needs supplies, parts to build it. Those people also needs supplies to build what they need. They need an education to build whatever.

    Those people get jobs, support families. Spend more money because they are in jobs.

    Again a failure to learn. I feel like an adult trying to teach children, but the children refuse to learn. And i do get frustrated.

    Unfortunately, you cant get all the trappings of society by deliberately being poor. And most people only get so far up the wealth scale. Bit you must do your best, its what keeps society pushing forward.

    You cant earn a living by doing nowt, its against everything. You are right that this is a democracy. Its shows how strong it is that a person like Corbyn can achieve a post of responsibility.

    The weakness of democracy is in built, that those wanting to destroy it have a free reign to do so. I can listen to David Lammy speak and marvel at the poison he spouts. Sometimes i feel like an a level student in a reception class. Its not hard really is it?

    What do you do with a failure to learn though? It has no future or prospects. Yet these people get voted in.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    It seems the parents pay for their luxuries, phones, drugs, subscription tv, tobacco, gambling etc, and put food last on the list. This is a failure to learn, a failure of empathy, a failure of caring. I know this is true, i saw it. What does toast or cereal cost? Even that is missing.
    There are definitely some like you describe but I think that's a minority.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    As for the boots thing, re jig your spending or get another job, or get a job in the first place. Work pays now. All it takes is a little common sense, discipline for a while, then you have money to spare. That then can be re invested on making more wealth, for yourself and your country.
    With the rising cost of living, many people don't have money to spare. That's the point I was making. Wages have gone up but they haven't kept pace with the cost of living so in real terms, people are paid less now than they used to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    Again a failure to learn. I feel like an adult trying to teach children, but the children refuse to learn. And i do get frustrated.
    I don't mean this to sound rude to you, because you've taken the time to post what is clearly a well thought out reply, but I think you're being very dismissive of a lot of people by assuming their predicament is down to a refusal to learn. Maybe a lot of people are poor through no fault of their own? I understand you getting frustrated. I get frustrated when people hear the word socialist and immediately make jokes about being lazy and wanting to live on government handouts, because that's not what I believe in at all. I believe in hard work, and if an employer treats me well I am happy to go the extra mile.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,845
    I looked up the facts about Bezos. He is a democrat. He gave 10 billion to research companies on climate change. Wouldnt be able to do that if he was a taxi driver. Have you read a Tree grows in Brooklyn.? I did at 12. It didnt turn me into a socialist, it did the opposite. An individual can look after themselves regardless,, without that, self esteem dissapears. Oh, no it doesnt, if you blame someone else.

    The family in that book didnt have a socialist welfare state behind them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    57
    What do people think about the divisions in the Labour party right now? Is it more important to compromise in order to get elected, or should you stick to your principles?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,845
    Labours membership is dropping like a stone due to the divisions, fuelled by Corbyn. My father used to bring home the Daily Mirror, and i read it growing up, i used to be a socialist. In my early twenties i thought hang on a minute. Theres something wrong here I actually voted Labour once.

    The divisions that are present now existed in the early sixties when i started reading the Mirror.

    Nothing has changed.

    Yet you ask how to heal the divisions?

    What do you think?

    If an infected limb is gangreneous you cut it off dont you?

    Or is the limb a symptom of nirvana? Its obvious there is no answer, never has been.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •