+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next season, squad depth

Next season, squad depth

With this season now safe and the only way to look is just how high we can finish I was thinking about how we make that next step next season, hopefully with fans back and make a proper push for top 8 positions. The crux of that will inevitably fall on whether Bielsa stays which to my mind he will, he likes a challenge and getting Leeds into Europe surely has to be a very tasty one.

So where do we need to improve?

GK- Meslier/ ??????? - This needs addressing, I don't mind Casilla but I'd rather two youngsters at this point, at least then if they make a mistake they've got an excuse.

LB- ??????/ Dallas - To me our weakest area, I'm happy with Dallas as a back up but we really need someone with proper defensive abilities and can get up and down the wing. Priority for me to address this area.

CB- Koch/ Struijk- Solid, don't need to worry, Struijk impresses me, still makes errors but he is learning and will grow.

CB- Llorente/ Cooper- All this depends on Llorente for me, I'd be happy with this but if his biscuit legs keep crumbling then I'd want someone else. It is fine now when lets be honest we'd all have taken 15th at start, but when you want to push top 10 you can't have a perpetually injured centre back.

RB- Ayling/ ?????? - Hoping a youngster can step up here, Dallas can cover but he can't cover everywhere. I don't honestly think Ayling is good enough for the next step but we can't rip a side up and what he brings in attitude, energy, attacking effort can't be denied. Maybe Drameh? Not seen much of him though and worries me how little he has been around first team.

CM- Phillips/ ?????? - Nobody in our squad steps up for this role effectively. Kalvin can't play every game, we need a back up.

CM/ ?????/ Klich - The De Paul position, I love Klich but in Prem he does get found wanting a little at times. A key area for me where we need someone who can do it all and the one position I'd invest BIG in.

CAM- Rodrigo/ ????? - If we can sort out the other two it then frees up this position as more rotatable option with Klich being able to step in

LM- Harrison/??????? - Brilliant player but where is his back up, who do we turn to when isn't on it? Again would love a kid to step up to this role.

ST- Bamford/ ??????? - Honestly can't drop Bamford anymore but he needs a solid back up whether Greenwood steps up I don't know but we need someone as it looks like Rodrigo is primed for that Pablo role.

RM- Raphina/ Gelhardt or Summervile or Poveda - I've got the faith here, out of these kids I'm sure they can all do it, Poveda has proven he has something about him and other two have potential. Hope they all get minutes particuarly Poveda and Gelhardt as I've not seen much of Summervile.

We've got a lot of players whose futures to me aren't certain.

Alioski- Gives us everything, I'd keep him on even if just for another year as his energy and attitude is second to none and he can cover if a few positions.

Forshaw- Surely must be gone? He was great for us but lets be honest never quality for top 10 prem and with injury he will have lost a step.

Casilla- Pack him off back to Spain and lets all admit it never worked out.

Costa- A man deviod of confidence. I think he isn't up for the fight when someone is challenging him for his place as soon as Raphinha has arrived Costa has dived off a cliff and never looked back. Sell him on, someone will give us 10m in this market in Champ.

Roberts- There is potential with Roberts but I really want to see what he can do with a full season somewhere, wish he'd been loaned out to Huddersfield or somewhere to really hone his game. Next season?

Pablo- I hope to god he stays, that man deserves a proper send off more than anyone. Forget Kalvin, Cooper, Bamford, Dallas. When we needed someone to step up last season he did it, that end of season run I've rarely seen a player have more of an impact. He will go down no matter what as a Leeds United Legend for what he has done. I still think he has a lot to offer, hes old but pace has never been his power. One more year then let him go to his boyhood club with the send off he deserves after firing us to Europe.

Kids that I'm not convinced by-

Shackleton - Still don't see it. Works hard but what else, what really sets him out as a PL player. Another I wish would go out on loan to see what he can really do.

Davis- Keep hearing how good he can be yet never seeing any of it other than brief glimpses against other pish under 23 teams.

To me I'm hoping we address three crucial areas-
    Left back
    Central mid- Kalvin back up
    Central midfielder who can do it all (BIG SPEND)

Outside of that I'm hoping some kids can step up, I don't want this team ripped apart. Just do what we did this year but even less but really ramp up the quality.

Good post, I agree with more or less everything stated. Only very slight difference is I would like a senior keeper brought in to compete for the shirt to push Meslier on. Still like to have a young keeper waiting their chance to.

Alioski, I don't really know where he fits in with the team going forward, he tries really hard, very committed but imo is not quite good enough to be a lb or lw for us at this level?

Suspect that Alioski is gone. Enough rumors on the turkish club that it appears he is itching for something. Will miss him.

Think Cooper, like Pablo have bsen great but time to move on as a club. Think Llorente is another Forshaw.

Diagree on Meslier. Think he is a star in making. He is so young and at times his defense disappears. He keeps his head. He makes the mistakes that 20 year olds do but not very often. Will only get better. Need a cheap has been goalie as his back up. If we an pick up a goalie like Green during the dark days we can find someone like that as backup

Good post which I agree mostly with. I’d like a senior keeper with experience to help Meslier develop. Not Casilla who I think should go.

Endorse the sentiment over Pablo totally.

I still don’t get Bamford but happy for him to continue proving me wrong. Feel if we had a clinical finisher then we would have converted many more of the chances we have created.

De Paul yes

Who would have thought that Leeds would become nearly everyone’s second team. It’s been great watching them but what would it have been like had we been able to attend.

Hope you’re right about Bielsa- would be fantastic if he could stay on and take Leeds into Europe
    Last edited by Pacaman; 13-02-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    With this season now safe and the only way to look is just how high we can finish I was thinking about how we make that next step next season, hopefully with fans back and make a proper push for top 8 positions. The crux of that will inevitably fall on whether Bielsa stays which to my mind he will, he likes a challenge and getting Leeds into Europe surely has to be a very tasty one.

So where do we need to improve?

GK- Meslier/ ??????? - This needs addressing, I don't mind Casilla but I'd rather two youngsters at this point, at least then if they make a mistake they've got an excuse.

LB- ??????/ Dallas - To me our weakest area, I'm happy with Dallas as a back up but we really need someone with proper defensive abilities and can get up and down the wing. Priority for me to address this area.

CB- Koch/ Struijk- Solid, don't need to worry, Struijk impresses me, still makes errors but he is learning and will grow.

CB- Llorente/ Cooper- All this depends on Llorente for me, I'd be happy with this but if his biscuit legs keep crumbling then I'd want someone else. It is fine now when lets be honest we'd all have taken 15th at start, but when you want to push top 10 you can't have a perpetually injured centre back.

RB- Ayling/ ?????? - Hoping a youngster can step up here, Dallas can cover but he can't cover everywhere. I don't honestly think Ayling is good enough for the next step but we can't rip a side up and what he brings in attitude, energy, attacking effort can't be denied. Maybe Drameh? Not seen much of him though and worries me how little he has been around first team.

CM- Phillips/ ?????? - Nobody in our squad steps up for this role effectively. Kalvin can't play every game, we need a back up.

CM/ ?????/ Klich - The De Paul position, I love Klich but in Prem he does get found wanting a little at times. A key area for me where we need someone who can do it all and the one position I'd invest BIG in.

CAM- Rodrigo/ ????? - If we can sort out the other two it then frees up this position as more rotatable option with Klich being able to step in

LM- Harrison/??????? - Brilliant player but where is his back up, who do we turn to when isn't on it? Again would love a kid to step up to this role.

ST- Bamford/ ??????? - Honestly can't drop Bamford anymore but he needs a solid back up whether Greenwood steps up I don't know but we need someone as it looks like Rodrigo is primed for that Pablo role.

RM- Raphina/ Gelhardt or Summervile or Poveda - I've got the faith here, out of these kids I'm sure they can all do it, Poveda has proven he has something about him and other two have potential. Hope they all get minutes particuarly Poveda and Gelhardt as I've not seen much of Summervile.

We've got a lot of players whose futures to me aren't certain.

Alioski- Gives us everything, I'd keep him on even if just for another year as his energy and attitude is second to none and he can cover if a few positions.

Forshaw- Surely must be gone? He was great for us but lets be honest never quality for top 10 prem and with injury he will have lost a step.

Casilla- Pack him off back to Spain and lets all admit it never worked out.

Costa- A man deviod of confidence. I think he isn't up for the fight when someone is challenging him for his place as soon as Raphinha has arrived Costa has dived off a cliff and never looked back. Sell him on, someone will give us 10m in this market in Champ.

Roberts- There is potential with Roberts but I really want to see what he can do with a full season somewhere, wish he'd been loaned out to Huddersfield or somewhere to really hone his game. Next season?

Pablo- I hope to god he stays, that man deserves a proper send off more than anyone. Forget Kalvin, Cooper, Bamford, Dallas. When we needed someone to step up last season he did it, that end of season run I've rarely seen a player have more of an impact. He will go down no matter what as a Leeds United Legend for what he has done. I still think he has a lot to offer, hes old but pace has never been his power. One more year then let him go to his boyhood club with the send off he deserves after firing us to Europe.

Kids that I'm not convinced by-

Shackleton - Still don't see it. Works hard but what else, what really sets him out as a PL player. Another I wish would go out on loan to see what he can really do.

Davis- Keep hearing how good he can be yet never seeing any of it other than brief glimpses against other pish under 23 teams.

To me I'm hoping we address three crucial areas-
    Left back
    Central mid- Kalvin back up
    Central midfielder who can do it all (BIG SPEND)

Outside of that I'm hoping some kids can step up, I don't want this team ripped apart. Just do what we did this year but even less but really ramp up the quality.
    Lot of good points.

Think if we finish in top 10 then the owners may be encouraged to spend and for every place higher we get something like an extra 2m in money that alone could fund one decent player better than what we have.

Key areas to address pretty much as you say - LB, CM, CDM and for me a more clinical striker - admire much about Bamford and he keeps getting better but goals win games and we at least need a viable alternative.

Of the kids think JG and Drameh could be ready next year and Gotts and McAlmont will add aomething. Davies is supposed to be very talented but suggestions his head isn’t right and not as focused as he should be.

Outward bound - Pablo, Casilla, Alioski (also like him a lot), Costa, Roberts (loan), Hossanah and possibly Llorente if not fit.

Foreshaw is supposed to be close to training with the first team squad - hope.he gets to play this season but only time will tell if he comes back the same player.

Soo ahem, this Dallas who is only suitable for backup........
    Is this the same Dallas who has played 22 times this season, 93 minutes per game, 1000 completed passes, 82 tackles 4 goals, 2 assists, played in 8 different positions, one of Bielsas 1st names on the teamsheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Soo ahem, this Dallas who is only suitable for backup........
    Is this the same Dallas who has played 22 times this season, 93 minutes per game, 1000 completed passes, 82 tackles 4 goals, 2 assists, played in 8 different positions, one of Bielsas 1st names on the teamsheet?
    A-f00king-men!!!!!

So agree on Dallas. Unsung hero thst makes us better. Could argue the same on Ayling.

On Bamford....we all know how many sitters he misses but how many strikers comes back and play defense and supporting the team the way he does?

I really dont know the answer. Does a Kane,Vardy or Salah work in MBs system?

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    So agree on Dallas. Unsung hero thst makes us better. Could argue the same on Ayling.

On Bamford....we all know how many sitters he misses but how many strikers comes back and play defense and supporting the team the way he does?

I really dont know the answer. Does a Kane,Vardy or Salah work in MBs system?

Agree on Dallas but not sure where his starting position is anymore - been great in midfield in recent weeks but then can drop back to full back. Given he can play in so many places think we need more depth at left back. Love Alioski and he brings a lot bit of we want to push to top 6 you would say LB is not a position of strength.

LB has been a huge weakness for many years, plenty of players have come & gone, been tried, and although not really a fullback, let alone LB, Dallas has been better than most.
    Ian Harte wasnt bad, good passer, free kicks etc, but lacked that bit of pace, the best for me in long time, Tony Dorigo, good on ball, decent shot, quick. As has been stated, key area to get sorted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)