Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Gillingham

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    265

    Gillingham

    Well here we go again another defeat for our hapless warriors Iím going for 1-4 who knows what formation Artell will adopt and which players will start but it matters not the result will still be the same.

  2. #2
    I'm going to maintain some optimism. Whilst i agree that our current squad may not quite be up to the quality we started with last season, I don't think they're as bad as their performances have suggested. I truly believe that their is a lot more available from the majority of players, and a couple of positive performances will see us start to close up on those ahead of us. It's 'just' a matter of finding a formation and style of play that brings the best out of our squad. Another go at 5-2-3 (give Knight and Bennett a go out wide on their natural sides, i. e. Knight on the left and Bennett on the right) , and a scruffy 2-1 to CAFC.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    764
    I'll happily take that - but without Bennett I think!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    I'm going to maintain some optimism. Whilst i agree that our current squad may not quite be up to the quality we started with last season, I don't think they're as bad as their performances have suggested. I truly believe that their is a lot more available from the majority of players, and a couple of positive performances will see us start to close up on those ahead of us. It's 'just' a matter of finding a formation and style of play that brings the best out of our squad. Another go at 5-2-3 (give Knight and Bennett a go out wide on their natural sides, i. e. Knight on the left and Bennett on the right) , and a scruffy 2-1 to CAFC.

    If you think the above to be true why do you think it is not happening for us then what is the issue ?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    I'll happily take that - but without Bennett I think!
    You say that, but he was a different player against Wolves U21s, when he was playing on the right. Every time he switched back to the left he became anonymous again, cutting inside and running into traffic. Every time he was on the right he looked a threat. Far more like the player that exited us when he arrived.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    You say that, but he was a different player against Wolves U21s, when he was playing on the right. Every time he switched back to the left he became anonymous again, cutting inside and running into traffic. Every time he was on the right he looked a threat. Far more like the player that exited us when he arrived.

    I think he was saying that Bennett is injured and out for 4 weeks so he wonít be playing on Saturday.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    If you think the above to be true why do you think it is not happening for us then what is the issue ?
    Honestly, I think we've been spoiled this last two or three seasons. We've had almost an entire squad of good quality players that's been playing together since they were... what? Eight or nine years old? They all knew each other's game instinctively, which gave us a cohesion and fluidity that had us punching well above our weight class. It's that fluidity that's the missing piece. Our current squad doesn't have that instinctive knowledge of where their team mate is going to be. Did Kirky even need to look to know exactly where Pixie was? I would say he didn't. Until we can get that knowledge in this squad, we can't play the way we did last season, or the season before. We need to be a little more pragmatic. Be organised at the back, and difficult to beat. Play to the strengths of this squad, whilst working toward playing more like a Crewe squad of last year or the year before. They can do it. In every match we've seen flashes and glimpses of that football we came to expect of an Artell team. Sadly, those flashes have been all too infrequent so far. As I've said elsewhere; I think our current squad suits a 5-2-3 (or 3-4-3 if you wish), with Knight and Bennett playing on their natural sides, a hardworking and mobile midfield duo (Lowery and Lundstram?), with one of them given a more defensive brief, to give the other licence to influence the game, and a solid back three (Any three of BSD, Z Williams, Thomas and Offord?).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I think he was saying that Bennett is injured and out for 4 weeks so he won’t be playing on Saturday.
    Ah. My bad. Sorry.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    265
    I think Bennett against kids will be fine but we are playing against men and I that respect he is sadly lacking a luxury player we can Ill afford and I hope we send him back with our best regards in January and bring somebody in who is not going to be anonymous and get stuck in.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,481
    This is a player who played against men in the first 5 weeks or so and was very exciting to watch. However, the whole team has slumped badly since then and the better players have been dragged down with them.
    I don't we should play a containing game tomorrow. On the contrary, I believe we should attack as much as we can. It is no use playing sideways in your own half against teams like them as first opportunity and they'll nick the ball off us and immediately launch it into our box. Thus we'll be penned until we make the inevitable mistakes. We do need 5 across the back but mainly to stop the crosses being made.
    Robertson's absence gives Murphy another chance after being left out for a couple of games. Up front we need players who are nimble and quick footed to outsmart the big boys at the back.
    Finally, the gills (but by no means half-pints&#128521 only have 9 fit regular first teasers and there is some inexperience in their side. That needs exploiting.
    Prediction.. a stop to the rot but not really enough to change things 1-1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •