+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We have had this conversation before mon ami.

The EPL media darlings are talking about the gegenpress like Klopp & Tuchel invented it.

I remember one poor Yeovil player trapped at the corner flag on the Jimmy Mc/Bob Lord right angle, Boyd, Gray, Arfield and Vokes were all swarming all over him. He gave up and passed it to Mee.

Gegenpress my arse.
    I think that the Liverpool team of the 70s and 80s were exceptionally good at the press and that was long before any Germans were involved. in fact, the Germans didn't handle it well at all in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    I have to agree with you Sinkov in the 2013/14 season we did play some good football under Sean Dyche, but that was against championship opposition and our playing squad was younger.

While we have been in the premier league we have mainly brought in players in their twilight years and not many of them can be classed as being a good quality signing. Whether that was the managers choice or dictated by the funds available I do not know, but some of them when you consider the wages paid have cost the club a lot of money which in my opinion could have been better spent.

Sean Dyche has to be given a lot of credit for the club remaining in the premier league and I would like to see him remain if he was willing to change the style of football. However if he is considering bringing in someone like Carroll I would suggest that it is now time for a change as we would be paying wages to a player who is a red card waiting to happen. I have said previously if this is the type of player we are looking too it can only signify that we intend to continue with hoof ball regardlessly.
    I am sick and tired of the almost obligatory reference to Dyche's "hoofball".

When Liverpool hit long it's an "out ball", when City hit long it's a brilliant "long ball".

Our problem is we clear the ball but the midfield do not support the player in possession. It's not "hoofball" that's our problem , it's the fact that Cork, Westwood, McNeil, Gudmundsson and Brownhill are not good enough to play in the EPL.

Before anyone gets on my case, watch Harrison play on the left wing for Leeds - he makes McNeil look positively rubbish.

When Liverpool hit long it's an "out ball", when City hit long it's a brilliant "long ball".

Our problem is we clear the ball but the midfield do not support the player in possession. It's not "hoofball" that's our problem , it's the fact that Cork, Westwood, McNeil, Gudmundsson and Brownhill are not good enough to play in the EPL.

Before anyone gets on my case, watch Harrison play on the left wing for Leeds - he makes McNeil look positively rubbish.
    I have to disagree with you BT.
    Yes if a long ball is played forward to a player who may be able to control that ball I have no problem with that and I do not consider it as being hoofball. But when we have all our players back defending and then hit the ball into space hoping for someone in the team to be able to run for that ball then it is Hoofball and invariable the ball comes straight back at us.

I have to agree that our midfield is very poor, but we do need to start keeping possession of the ball more and it that mean changing the system or personnel then lets make an attempt to change that.

The two teams in yesterday’s game at the London Stadium had one thing in common- both defences were rubbish

McNeal has been rubbish, he hasn't developed and Dyche should have to answer as to why.. Dwight used to play as a good wide winger, now he is poor as a winger as this part of his game has disappeared, very rarely does he get to the by-line and whip a cross in, Taylor does that.. while Dwight constantly cuts inside and is very ineffective.
    Dwight huffs and puffs throws his arms about, sulks when he looses the ball fails to track back or stick to runners.
    - Also I do think Westwood is good enough, I think Brownhill has potential but atm a bench player. But he does give 100%
    Cock not unto it, Gudnmunson need top leave asap..he goes missing for 89mins.. loose count the amount of games I forget he is on the pitch.
    Last edited by FromTheDarkness; 17-01-2022 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Can't see itself myself VC. When Pace arrived he said he would not be interfering on the football side, that was Sean's domain. I can't know for sure obviously, but I reckon the day Pace starts telling Dyche which players we should be buying, which players he should be picking, or how we should be playing, is the day he walks out the door.

I don't believe for one minute Dyche actually wants to play hoofball, some of the best football I've seen from any Burnley team, and I've been watching them since the 50s, was 2013/14 when we won promotion from the Championship, and Dyche was manager, but given the rag-bag bunch of aging mediocrities the owners have landed him with, he probably feels he has little choice. It's worked well enough so far, we've been in the PL far longer than anyone could have anticipated, but it's not working any more, I'll give you that. Not much he can do about it imo, the lack of investment has caught up with us, and if anyone thinks we can just switch to playing silky footbal, or putting the kids in, and that will get us out of trouble, I can only say that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I disagree.

Hoofball, football, Dyche, any other manager. None of it makes any difference imo, the economic reality of life in the PL has finally caught up with us. The only thing that can save us is three clubs being a bigger shambles than we are, and that is extremely unlikely, one maybe, possibly two, but we'll never be lucky enough to find three.
    Tb fair Sinkov we did play good football in that season but we have bought numerous players since who don’t fit the mantra of hoof ball , plus the loans going right back to
    Challobah , Bamford , wells , Vydra tonnage just a few - so if it’s not Sean’s fault it caught up with us or that we play hoof ball - who’s fault is it ?

Football has changed a lot and Sean hasn’t , not the finances from the board , they didn’t stop
    Us playing attractive football , we had the players to play differently but he chose not to and continue with what I call one out football.

I accept we had Ings/ Austin in that period but also Vokes who many slated on here but he had the attributes wood has and also better feet and a better understanding of bringing players into play.

We had Bamford who categorically is the most gifted footballer who’s been to us in some time , that lad can beat a man without touching the ball we called him soft and refused to play him.

The stigma attached to Dyche is there for a reason we are nothing but hoof ball Sinkov.

The book stops with him I’m afraid - or as Sean would put it - fine margins - for me 90 minutes without a shot on goal isn’t acceptable or entertaining football.

The difference is Bt they make the ball stick at the oppositions end of the pitch - I’ve posted many times about the midfields in adequacies the fear of getting close enough to the forward s is embarrassing at times.

It’s a vicious circle - forwards couldn’t hold the ball , midfield can’t get up to support or stop counter attacks , hence defence is constantly under pressure ( if it wasn’t for Taylor we’d be relegated already - he’s bailed out the centre backs numerous times ).

When all said and done the man in charge of formation - tactics - players recruitment is Dyche we are rigid - non flexible to changes.

Lastly MCneil is singled out every game because the opposition know the rest are basically not going to compete , so he ends up closed down and in effective. ( he gets slated on here but he’d be a different player for another team where they carry more threat. ).

I just can’t see anyway past what we’re calling hoof ball that you did like, for it to be football the forwards have to control it bring wide - midfield into play - it doesn’t happen - hence why it’s Hoof ball.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post

The book stops with him I’m afraid - or as Sean would put it - fine margins - for me 90 minutes without a shot on goal isn’t acceptable or entertaining football.
    You want us to play like Chelsea then.
    When we played at the Etihad we had just 29% possession but managed 7 shots with 2 on target. Chelsea had 44% possession but managed only 4 shots with 1 on target. ...

From memory we've beaten liverpool twice with less than 30% possession, that's why Klopp hates us.

We have had this conversation before mon ami.

The EPL media darlings are talking about the gegenpress like Klopp & Tuchel invented it.

I remember one poor Yeovil player trapped at the corner flag on the Jimmy Mc/Bob Lord right angle, Boyd, Gray, Arfield and Vokes were all swarming all over him. He gave up and passed it to Mee.

Gegenpress my arse.
    I used to like the one man 'gegenpress' called Kevin Ball, when he appeared in your rear view mirror, you were wise to get rid sharpish, and most did, those with any sense anyway.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)