+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAO alf ----how to ruin a game!

FAO alf ----how to ruin a game!

Hey alf, just read this and see if you can make any sense of it at all.

We certainly do support the best sort of rugby!

"So. If you haven't caught up with why exactly Italy are down to 13 men, here's what's what.

Italy's replacement hooker Hame Faiva was shown a red card for a dangerous tackle. Because starting hooker Gianmarco Lucchesi had already gone off injured, Italy had to bring on a front row player for a back but move to uncontested scrums.

And because they had forced the uncontested scrums, the Azzurri had to lose another player - meaning number eight Toa Halafihi left the field too."

Mind boggling! It's made an international game of rugby into a training exercise for Ireland!

Says it all doesn't it Ashy.Too many laws in Yawnion .lol

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Says it all doesn't it Ashy.Too many laws in Yawnion .lol
    Aye and all that happened after about 20 minutes of the game!
    Italy actually finished with 12 men because they had a player sin-binned in the last 10 minutes of the match!

Honestly lads I have tried my best to try and understand Rugby League.

Is this a fair attempt?

In Rugby League, points are scored by carrying the ball and touching it to the ground beyond the opposing team's goal line; this is called a try, and is the primary method of scoring.

The opposing team attempts to stop the attacking side scoring points by tackling the player carrying the ball.

In addition to tries, points can be scored by kicking goals. Field goals can be attempted at any time, and following a successful try, the scoring team gains a free kick to try at goal with a conversion for further points.

Kicks at goal may also be awarded for penalties.

What really confuses me though is how four tackles were extended to six or seven?

Why is a handover of the ball to the opposing side, rather than a scrum like in Union, when the attacking side is tackled in possession on the sixth tackle? It's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Honestly lads I have tried my best to try and understand Rugby League.

Is this a fair attempt?

In Rugby League, points are scored by carrying the ball and touching it to the ground beyond the opposing team's goal line; this is called a try, and is the primary method of scoring.

The opposing team attempts to stop the attacking side scoring points by tackling the player carrying the ball.

In addition to tries, points can be scored by kicking goals. Field goals can be attempted at any time, and following a successful try, the scoring team gains a free kick to try at goal with a conversion for further points.

Kicks at goal may also be awarded for penalties.

What really confuses me though is how four tackles were extended to six or seven?

Why is a handover of the ball to the opposing side, rather than a scrum like in Union, when the attacking side is tackled in possession on the sixth tackle? It's nuts.
    Oh dear BT, you obviously aren't aware of the farce which was International Rugby Union as played today at Aviva Stadium, Dublin.
    YOu talk about RL giving the ball up after 6 tackles well how about this then?

"Having been brought on to replace the injured Gianmarco Lucchesi, replacement hooker Faiva was shown red for making contact with the head of Dan Sheehan.

With no other hooker to replace Faiva, referee Nika Amashukeli called for uncontested scrums. As the side that forced uncontested scrums, Italy not only lost Faiva but had to nominate another player (in this case number eight Toa Halafihi) to leave the field.

The hosts played with a two-man advantage for 60 minutes after Italian replacement hooker Hame Faiva was sent off midway through the first half.

His dismissal prompted uncontested scrums, which forced Italy to take off another player."

Uncontested scrums must be really exciting, oh no, wait a minute, that would be a bit like RL which you don't like, I suppose that Italy, playing with just 13 men probably imagined that they were playing League rather than Union.

Spectators paid to watch an international game that was made into a non-contest because of antiquated Laws which had to be obeyed.
    WHy could they not have a scrum with 6 players from each side anyway? Oh wait a minute, that would be like RL so we wouldn't want to upset the RU purists. I wonder if they will give a refund to the crowd?

You are wasting your time Ashy ..Leave him to his Yawnion .

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    You are wasting your time Ashy ..Leave him to his Yawnion .
    I know alf, however, I've got nowt else to do at the minute so I just try to keep the non-believers contemplating the errors of their ways.
    I think that they call it trying to educate the uneducated, however, this may not be the case with BT, after all, he does spout a lot of crap about the Middle East so he perhpas has been educated by Al Jazeera to the exclusion of all things in moderation. Who knows?

I was quite enjoying the game until that incident, the game was obviously over as a contest so I switched off and watched some footy instead. Clearly the law on this needs a good seeing to, or those that paid good money to watch a game of Rugby could be suing them for their money back.

Did you see the England game BT ? I couldn't believe how inept England were, the leadership on the field is appalling, wrong decisions taken time and again. A classic example was when the Welsh went down to 14 men and England had a pen right under the posts. Kick it, go 9-0 up and then you have a full 10 minutes against a 14 man Welsh team, but no, some fruitcake, Laws presumably, decided on a scrum instead, despite the fact they must know a scrum can gobble up an awful lot of time, especially when one team, like Wales here, want it to, and so it did. As soon as the clock is ticking Wales decide to make a substitution, the clock keeps ticking, the scrum eventually forms but has to be reset, the clock ticks on, another reset, tick-tock goes the clock, then they feck the scrum up and Wales get a penalty. They clear the ball and it's a now a Welsh line-out near the half way line and there's only 7.42 left for Wales to play a man down and England haven't touched the ball yet. Wales win their lineout and progress over the half way line, by the time England do get their hands on the ball they are deep in their own half and only about six minutes left for Wales to play a man down.

It takes a weird sort of genius to cough up 40% of your advantage time without even getting your hands on the ball. I don't think any other team in World Rugby could do it, only England.
    Last edited by sinkov; 28-02-2022 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I was quite enjoying the game until that incident, the game was obviously over as a contest so I switched off and watched some footy instead. Clearly the law on this needs a good seeing to, or those that paid good money to watch a game of Rugby could be suing them for their money back.

Did you see the England game BT ? I couldn't believe how inept England were, the leadership on the field is appalling, wrong decisions taken time and again. A classic example was when the Welsh went down to 14 men and England had a pen right under the posts. Kick it, go 9-0 up and then you have a full 10 minutes against a 14 man Welsh team, but no, some fruitcake, Laws presumably, decided on a scrum instead, despite the fact they must know a scrum can gobble up an awful lot of time, especially when one team, like Wales here, want it to, and so it did. As soon as the clock is ticking Wales decide to make a substitution, the clock keeps ticking, the scrum eventually forms but has to be reset, the clock ticks on, another reset, tick-tock goes the clock, then they feck the scrum up and Wales get a penalty. They clear the ball and it's a now a Welsh line-out near the half way line and there's only 7.42 left for Wales to play a man down and England haven't touched the ball yet. Wales win their lineout and progress over the half way line, by the time England do get their hands on the ball they are deep in their own half and only about six minutes left for Wales to play a man down.

It takes a weird sort of genius to cough up 40% of your advantage time without even getting your hands on the ball. I don't think any other team in World Rugby could do it, only England.
    You win nowt with kids sinkov. I was screaming for England to kick the penalty, but no they elected to pi$$ about instead. We miss Farrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Oh dear BT, you obviously aren't aware of the farce which was International Rugby Union as played today at Aviva Stadium, Dublin.
    YOu talk about RL giving the ball up after 6 tackles well how about this then?

"Having been brought on to replace the injured Gianmarco Lucchesi, replacement hooker Faiva was shown red for making contact with the head of Dan Sheehan.

With no other hooker to replace Faiva, referee Nika Amashukeli called for uncontested scrums. As the side that forced uncontested scrums, Italy not only lost Faiva but had to nominate another player (in this case number eight Toa Halafihi) to leave the field.

The hosts played with a two-man advantage for 60 minutes after Italian replacement hooker Hame Faiva was sent off midway through the first half.

His dismissal prompted uncontested scrums, which forced Italy to take off another player."

Uncontested scrums must be really exciting, oh no, wait a minute, that would be a bit like RL which you don't like, I suppose that Italy, playing with just 13 men probably imagined that they were playing League rather than Union.

Spectators paid to watch an international game that was made into a non-contest because of antiquated Laws which had to be obeyed.
    WHy could they not have a scrum with 6 players from each side anyway? Oh wait a minute, that would be like RL so we wouldn't want to upset the RU purists. I wonder if they will give a refund to the crowd?
    People who understand the laws of Rugby Union a lot better than me Supersub6 think this was ludicrous and could not really understand what was going on either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)