+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And what will we hear from our lords and masters at LUFC?

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Otherwise known as it was blindingly obvious Bielsa should not have been sacked and the problem lay with bad investment choices in this season’s squad.
    Not really. Bielsa wasn't getting us where we needed to be this season, the cricket-score drubbings are evidence of that. He perhaps couldn't, because of the position the board took, we don't know for sure. Fact is, the Board are responsible for our situation, and yet (at the risk of repeating myself) they won't suffer the consequences of their actions, whereas the fans, and the players who remain after relegation, will.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    I'd like to say "I hate saying I told you so", but I don't, I just wish it wasn't true.
    It was only ever going to be a matter of time until you did though
    well done fella - you have been right all along.

"3 - 4 hard seasons"??????? Where were you when we were in Div 1, getting blown about by the gales at Yeovil etc? Been a f00king sight more than 3 - 4 hard seasons, although as some of us aren't able to get to ER any more, our experience of such times apparently, in the eyes of some, counts for nowt.
    Personsally I don't beleive you've ever been to ER TBH
    You've not even been to St Mary's to see tham when they've been on your doorstep

Armchair critic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    It was only ever going to be a matter of time until you did though
    well done fella - you have been right all along.
    I never doubted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    Personsally I don't beleive you've ever been to ER TBH
    You've not even been to St Mary's to see tham when they've been on your doorstep

Armchair critic.
    Believe what you like, matters not much to me.

Not being a d&ck here but if you think that MB didn't dictate who we went after you've not been paying attention.

I loved the MB era but it was very obvious from the get go that they catered to his every whim and he largely had total control of the squad, number of players and who we signed. He also had total control of feeder system and when, and if, any of the youngsters played on the first team. They also didn't dictate that we could not have a bigger squad. That was MB

This ownership group didn't "go on the cheap". They spent big money on Rodrigo, James, Kock, Llorente, Firpo, Raph and MB himself and his staff. They re- upped Bamford, Phillips, Meslier, Ayling, Dallas and Harrison. We spent some decent sized money for a newly promoted side without big dollar owners.

It's easy to look back and criticize but MB would have left if the management would have interfered with him and I think you all know that deep down. Unfortunately, the first time the managment decided to step up was with the hiring of Ted. It was already too late then anyway as we had too small of a squad depleted with injuries to compete in Prem. The same genius that got us promoted also ended up taking us down.

It was a wonderful run and will always believe that for a couple of years we were one of the best teams in football to watch. Nobody played like us when we came into the prem.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Not being a d&ck here but if you think that MB didn't dictate who we went after you've not been paying attention.

I loved the MB era but it was very obvious from the get go that they catered to his every whim and he largely had total control of the squad, number of players and who we signed. He also had total control of feeder system and when, and if, any of the youngsters played on the first team. They also didn't dictate that we could not have a bigger squad. That was MB

This ownership group didn't "go on the cheap". They spent big money on Rodrigo, James, Kock, Llorente, Firpo, Raph and MB himself and his staff. They re- upped Bamford, Phillips, Meslier, Ayling, Dallas and Harrison. We spent some decent sized money for a newly promoted side without big dollar owners.

It's easy to look back and criticize but MB would have left if the management would have interfered with him and I think you all know that deep down. Unfortunately, the first time the managment decided to step up was with the hiring of Ted. It was already too late then anyway as we had too small of a squad depleted with injuries to compete in Prem. The same genius that got us promoted also ended up taking us down.

It was a wonderful run and will always believe that for a couple of years we were one of the best teams in football to watch. Nobody played like us when we came into the prem.
    Spending big doesn't of itself guarantee quality. Of those you mention who were brought in of late, Raphina is about the only player worth what we paid, all others are dubious. Amongst those you mention having been "upped" you omitted the enhanced contracts (duration and payments) given to Roberts and Costa, (then loan Costa out afterwards!), nor the bizarre decision to "acquire" JKA, when his parent AND loan club couldn't find space for him (probably too f00king fat!). We've squandered millions, and yet, as you say, we retained a small squad, with youth players acquired but never played in the 1st team until forced to do so.

Agree that we were down (or very nearly so) by the time Marsch was appointed. He is/was on a hiding to nothing, but he will have been well paid until he leaves, whenever that might be.

As for the "wonderful run"........strange that just about everybody apart from the Board and Bielsa could see that extending that run required action, and yet came there none.
    Last edited by WTF11; 12-05-2022 at 12:08 PM.

I think they all saw it just like we did. The only person who didn't was MB.

Creative geniuses "march to the beat of a different drummer". Many are on the autistic spectrum. It's the old argument of "what's normal" and when does it degenerate to something else. MB's mindset became more and more extreme. This year was crazy with many of his players on international duty, no layoff at all from football, and getting older and more fragile.

Don't disagree with your assessment on value on the players but the problem is that many good players were not going to come to Leeds under MB. Just too hard of a training and game expectation. The established star was not coming unless it was huge money. The young up and comers were worried they would not get game time. Understandable but really tied our owners hands.

It was very good while it lasted. Suspect that we could be in the championship a long time. Not decades but it won't be a fulham. we don't have the quality in youth system and likely won't have the money to spend big. Think it's likely that the 49's will not excercise their option and unless Radz finds a rich sheik or mobster we'll be on a very tight budget.

Not really. Bielsa wasn't getting us where we needed to be this season, the cricket-score drubbings are evidence of that. He perhaps couldn't, because of the position the board took, we don't know for sure. Fact is, the Board are responsible for our situation, and yet (at the risk of repeating myself) they won't suffer the consequences of their actions, whereas the fans, and the players who remain after relegation, will.
    To be fair we will never know as impossible to prove but with Phillips and Cooper back and other players too think we would have done aright - the West Ham away game we played well and deserved to win.

We had a horrific run of games against too 6 sides and the board lost its nerve.

Totally agree the root cause was not replacing Pablo and Alioski and bolstering/improving the squad where it was weak.

I like Dan James but we didn’t need him and paid a lot for him. 25m would have bought Olise, OBrien and Breraton Diaz (he was quoted at 7.5 last summer before he couldn’t stop scoring) or players of a similar ilk.

They had too much faith in Bielsa’s ability to turn a sow’s ear into a silk purse but even he has limits.

I much preferred the way we lost under Bielsa to the way we lose under Marsnock

Even when we are losing, and likely to be relegated, it's nice to know that tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber can raise a smile or two;

https://motleedsnews.com/news/phil-h...ed-by-chelsea/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)