+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Civil Servants

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,731

    Civil Servants

    Up to 90k facing the chop in more Tory cuts.

    Honestly, this Government...

    We already face massive delays in the Passport office, the DVLA, massive backlog in the NHS/GP surgery's waiting times, court cases, airports, other Govt departments. How is this actually going to help? Anyone who thinks these 90k people don't do anything need their head's checked.

    Meanwhile Rees-Mogg says 'we need to spend taxpayers money wisely'. This has to be a comedy statement. This is the same Government that wrote off billions in fraud payments and PPE contracts they gave out and now plan to cut thousands of jobs of the people who make this country run.

    They really are so inept.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    798
    I donít get it, donít we want a sleekly ran public sector? Staffing numbers have been increased by 91,000 since 2016 to support Brexit and the Pandemic. Surely the tax payer shouldnít take the brunt of that permanently.

    This government have been inept and cost billions that we wonít see back. You can expect a little loss during a crisis but not to the levels reported. But they need to get on with it now and make the right calls, some of which wonít be popular.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    I donít get it, donít we want a sleekly ran public sector? Staffing numbers have been increased by 91,000 since 2016 to support Brexit and the Pandemic. Surely the tax payer shouldnít take the brunt of that permanently.

    This government have been inept and cost billions that we wonít see back. You can expect a little loss during a crisis but not to the levels reported. But they need to get on with it now and make the right calls, some of which wonít be popular.
    The tax payer should absolutely take the brunt of Brexit permanently. They voted for it.

    Remember when the Leave campaign said we were sending £350m per week to the EU (another exaggerated lie, it was actually about half of that). That paid for a lot of shared resources in things like Health & Safety, Food standards, Medicine etc. Now we have to pay for those resources ourselves because we're no longer in that union.

    I don't quite understand how this is hard for some people to recognise.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    20,209
    The Civil Service is bloated and totally ineffective in many areas.

    Too many people doing too little and coasting for 35 years to a comfy retirement.

    Itís a pity that large areas of it are not managed by private companies.

    The inefficiencies and poor management are staggering given the money that goes into them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,082
    I can't comment on other areas but certainly the NHS needs sorting out from top to bottom. Far too much money is paid in fat salaries to administrative staff, of which there are far too many. If that money was redirected to the clinicians on the front line then the NHS would be on a much better position. As for GP's, I'd like to know what they actually do with their time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    The tax payer should absolutely take the brunt of Brexit permanently. They voted for it.

    Remember when the Leave campaign said we were sending £350m per week to the EU (another exaggerated lie, it was actually about half of that). That paid for a lot of shared resources in things like Health & Safety, Food standards, Medicine etc. Now we have to pay for those resources ourselves because we're no longer in that union.

    I don't quite understand how this is hard for some people to recognise.
    BrexitÖcrikey, the country argued over that years ago, carried on arguing over it and then moved on to other topics. Itís done now, edged into our history and we just have to get on with it and evaluate whether the 52% of the country got what it wanted or not in 10 years or so.

    That decision to leave the EU though is certainly not justification for handing out public money for 90,000 jobs in a bloated service at tax payers expense. The 48% will pay for that too you know! The government havenít even said what civil service jobs are being cut.

  7. #7
    The one area of the civil service that is in need of relocation is the DVLA. Many thousands of people waiting many months for replacement driving licences, me included. I have been waiting since December and still no licence; when I enquire about the status of said document and to confirm that I am still permitted to drive, they reply that they cannot tell me for security reasons! What a bunch of useless fools. The poor dears have, apparently, been requested to return to office working but no, the idle tw@ts want to continue to lounge around at home, so they resort to ‘industrial inaction’. Shut the place down and relocate it to somewhere that people want to work. Useless doesn’t begin to describe the DVLA.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Brexit…crikey, the country argued over that years ago, carried on arguing over it and then moved on to other topics. It’s done now, edged into our history and we just have to get on with it and evaluate whether the 52% of the country got what it wanted or not in 10 years or so.

    That decision to leave the EU though is certainly not justification for handing out public money for 90,000 jobs in a bloated service at tax payers expense. The 48% will pay for that too you know! The government haven’t even said what civil service jobs are being cut.
    My point is this, we are going to have to spend much more internally on certain bodies that regulate industry and trade, because we are no longer in the EU and have removed ourselves from EU centrally resourced departments.

    So the figure of 90k extra civil servants since 2016 wouldn't surprise me. And that extra public expenditure certainly would be justified. Who else is going to do these jobs now we've left the EU? Who says this is 'bloated'?

    Yes, they haven't said which jobs are going being cut, but doesn't this seem barmy to be considering this considering many of our departments aren't functioning correctly anyway? How can this be considered the solution?
    Last edited by WBA123; 13-05-2022 at 11:18 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    The Civil Service is bloated and totally ineffective in many areas.

    Too many people doing too little and coasting for 35 years to a comfy retirement.

    It’s a pity that large areas of it are not managed by private companies.

    The inefficiencies and poor management are staggering given the money that goes into them.
    I do agree that management is the problem. Not the workers who constantly get blamed, and will out of a job shortly.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,930
    Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    The one area of the civil service that is in need of relocation is the DVLA......
    HMRC run them very close. NFFP. As in..... Not Fit For Purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •