+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 incoming???

We definitely need an experienced and competent CH. However, it would have an interesting impact on the formation if one came in. Would we aim at a back 5/3?
    Morris gives the impression that he wants to attack so this would suggest a back 4. So who would miss out? We would have 6 with first team experience: AN.Other + Offord; Billy Sass; Zak Williams; O'Riordan and Billington.
    Clearly, the latter 2 would expect to be given fewer chances but the other 4 would be expecting to contend for places.

We also need potential goalscorers. Ainley hasn't got that in his locker and Finney has but is otherwise useless. Sambou has increased his average per season but doesn't promise much more. Not sure about Agyei. He has talent but we haven't seen enough to know whether he can add goals. CBR makes goals but doesn't actually score many. So wherever we recruit, the goals need to be shared around, including from defence.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    We also need potential goalscorers. Ainley hasn't got that in his locker and Finney has but is otherwise useless. Sambou has increased his average per season but doesn't promise much more. Not sure about Agyei. He has talent but we haven't seen enough to know whether he can add goals. CBR makes goals but doesn't actually score many. So wherever we recruit, the goals need to be shared around, including from defence.
    We haven't had a prolific goalscorer for many years now even when we got promoted our highest scorer was 12/13 goals. We have for a few years now spread the goals around, apart from last season when we didn't score many from any position. Its true that our midfield at present does not have any goals in them, Ainley may score 2 or 3 in an injury free season, Finney misses 85% of his scoring chances, so hopefully we will get another couple of midfielders who can score a few goals. I thinks another couple of defenders is a must probably a couple of fullbacks or a fullback and goalkeeper, not sure another center half is required considering we have 5 already, a defensive midfielder would be a better option, we wont find another Wintle, but as long as whoever we get is better than the last lot we brought in we have a fighting chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    We haven't had a prolific goalscorer for many years now even when we got promoted our highest scorer was 12/13 goals. We have for a few years now spread the goals around, apart from last season when we didn't score many from any position. Its true that our midfield at present does not have any goals in them, Ainley may score 2 or 3 in an injury free season, Finney misses 85% of his scoring chances, so hopefully we will get another couple of midfielders who can score a few goals. I thinks another couple of defenders is a must probably a couple of fullbacks or a fullback and goalkeeper, not sure another center half is required considering we have 5 already, a defensive midfielder would be a better option, we wont find another Wintle, but as long as whoever we get is better than the last lot we brought in we have a fighting chance.

An experienced center half is an absolute must we may have 5 center half’s but the vast majority lack the experience and guile that position demands if we go with what we have we will continue to concede at the alarming rate we have been doing, we also require 3 maybe 4 midfielders to replace Ainley, Finney, Griffiths and Gomes who are all frankly useless and need showing the door. A lot more recruitment required yet at least 8 more a GK, CB, CH, 4 midfielders and a goal scoring striker to help Long out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    An experienced center half is an absolute must we may have 5 center half’s but the vast majority lack the experience and guile that position demands if we go with what we have we will continue to concede at the alarming rate we have been doing, we also require 3 maybe 4 midfielders to replace Ainley, Finney, Griffiths and Gomes who are all frankly useless and need showing the door. A lot more recruitment required yet at least 8 more a GK, CB, CH, 4 midfielders and a goal scoring striker to help Long out.
    Whilst I agree wholeheartedly about Gomez, I think it far too early to dismiss Griffiths as "useless". I am, even now, unsure about Finney. He has goals in him as was proved the previous season. I don't know if he has not recovered, mentally, from the injury he suffered at the end of the season before last. Ainley, played in his right position, is a decent player. He has ability, and it is up to our coaching staff and manager to get that best out of him. To say we need "at least 8 more" is ridiculous. We have to put some faith in those we develop and it should be remembered that Griffiths came into a struggling team and I would agree he did little to improve it. But we need to see him in League 2 before we cast him out.
    I would agree that the addition of an old head at centre half would not be a bad thing although the defence was not necessarily the main problem is our concession of goals last season. Obviously a goal keeper is a must but I wouldn't think we need more than another couple of players overall before next season begins.

Doubt there's much disagreement about Gomes. As for Finney, his best season with goals was largely due to the work of Kirk and Pickering pulling opposition defences out of position to create space for him to get into goalscoring positions. Until we have players of that calibre again, I can't see him repeating his goals.
    As for a defensive centre midfielder, isn't that what Thomas has been brought in for? Watching his video clips, they are dominated by picking up the ball from the defence and moving it on; last ditch covering tackles and good distribution over distance. Of course, the clips are hand picked to be positive but they show a Wintle style of player.
    I would suggest that we definitely need a solid and experienced centre half. It's only takes a couple of injuries at the back for the defence to be weakened and we had a lot of injuries last season. We definitely need another winger/forward as well as some back-up in midfield. Finally, a goalkeeper who is steady and not prone to calamities. That makes an absolute minimum of 4 new players plus, maybe, a couple of loans. Grant has already indicated that another 3 are moving forward so the club acknowledge the minimum requirements.

For a striker/winger how about Billy Waters making a comeback? He managed 18 goals in the National League with Halifax last season. Never really given a chance under Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandWhiteSpartan View Post
    For a striker/winger how about Billy Waters making a comeback? He managed 18 goals in the National League with Halifax last season. Never really given a chance under Davis.
    I am afraid I don't believe Billy Waters would improve us in any way shape or form. Also, players coming back rarely works out. Murphy has done ok for us but I can't remember anyone else returning and making an impact apart from the other Murphy. And he was a very god player. Something that Waters isn't

Well that doesn't bode well for Kelvin Mellor then does it?

Quote Originally Posted by RedandWhiteSpartan View Post
    Well that doesn't bode well for Kelvin Mellor then does it?

Maybe, maybe not. One thing is certain though, Mellor was and probably still is a much better player than Billy Waters was. Waters was our best player in an awful team when Davies was manager. By the time we got some decent players in Waters was no longer getting in the team. Now, he has had a relatively decent career but always at a lower level than we were playing at. Time will tell with KM but I believe he has only signed a one year deal. So maybe the management aren't sure either

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast