+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Top 5 all positions

Top 5 all positions

Right guys , this has not been done for a for a few years but its always nice to reminisce and get the old grey matter going. I want your top 5 Qos keepers in order ? 5 points for first , 4 for second etc etc. Come on , this is good practise for the next Qos Hall of Famer which must be due sooner rather than later. Right full back after this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Right guys , this has not been done for a for a few years but its always nice to reminisce and get the old grey matter going. I want your top 5 Qos keepers in order ? 5 points for first , 4 for second etc etc. Come on , this is good practise for the next Qos Hall of Famer which must be due sooner rather than later. Right full back after this one.
    Allan Ball
    Alan Davidson
    Roy Henderson
    George Farm
    Colin Scott

I was going to say this even before the tragic news today, but mine would be
    Andy Goram
    Alan Ball
    Alan Davidson
    Zander Clark
    Lee Robinson

I know we only had him for a season and he was past his very best by then, but you could tell that Goram was a class above any goalkeeper we had had in the past.

Alan Davidson
    Alan ball
    Jamie McDonald
    Colin Scott
    Sol Brya

Davidson was well known for being a lunatic and rumour has it was bombed out of all previous clubs prior to qos cos of his off field antics, but there was no questioning his ability as a goalkeeper. If he was more sensible he would have played at the top level of football.
    Shows the way clubs have changed as I don’t think a large number of clubs would take him now despite his ability as, quite rightly, off field behaviour is closely scrutinised and with the way Barney behaved he wouldn’t have been touched by most, but some of the performances that man made were unbelievable.
    Two of the best performances I ever seen from any keeper was against hearts in the cup when he almost beat them on his own, drawing 1.1 and then again at parkhead against Celtic when save after save was made in a 2.1 defeat in a Celtic side that included Jackie Jackonovski. The following day the papers were praising Davidson for his performance. Just a shame he never realised his full potential
    Absolutely fantastic keeper in his prime, but also a complete maniac

Too young to have seen Ball or Davidson so can only really go from David Mathieson onwards.

1. Colin Scott
    2. Andy Goram
    3. Jamie McDonald
    4. Lee Robinson
    5. David Mathieson

I was split between Samson and Mathieson for the number 5 spot.

That one season we have Goram was tremendous. He made everything look effortless and just knew where to position himself. Really was a class above even at that age!

I rather enjoyed thinking back about Goalkeepers before I then remembered Barry John Corr. There is a special place in Hell for his performances!

There was a save made by Davidson that day against Hearts in early 83 that is still my favourite ever to this day. A rocket shot was hit at him from 18 yards out or so and he leapt high in the air ( body almost horizontal to the ground) tipping the ball just over the bar. Another notable performance was a LC game at Premier League Dunfermilne that Queens won in extra time aroung 1990. Queens goal was under an Alamo like siege in the last 20 mins of normal time. Davidson brought off save after save and I will never forget it

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)