+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team selection criteria for this weeks Cup game

Team selection criteria for this weeks Cup game

I’m no longer a Cup fan. I think the lack of emphasis in ‘best team’ selection adopted by a number of the major sides has detracted from the excitement of yesteryears.
    Notwithstanding my views, should we pick our best team, or utilise the match to rotate the squad and give a start to our bench players providing them with game time ?
    I would certainly prefer the latter utilising Cleary, TGH, Robinson etc. I’ve a feeling that Brucey will select similarly.

Tend to agree Prando. An opportunity to have a look at fringe players. If it was the FA Cup it might be different but not the League Cup.

It has to be rotation.....players will no doubt be getting tired thinking of the games they have to play this side of Christmas.
    Put out the youngsters or get rid of them on loan but festering away with no chance of first team action will not do their confidence any good..

If we want promotion as a priority we dont want injuries from something we have a tiny percentage of winning. Let our opposition get the injuries.

I’m respect to the league cup I would agree Prando, like to think we can try and do something FA cup wise tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    I’m no longer a Cup fan. I think the lack of emphasis in ‘best team’ selection adopted by a number of the major sides has detracted from the excitement of yesteryears.
    Notwithstanding my views, should we pick our best team, or utilise the match to rotate the squad and give a start to our bench players providing them with game time ?
    I would certainly prefer the latter utilising Cleary, TGH, Robinson etc. I’ve a feeling that Brucey will select similarly.

Play the fringe players Prando and include the stars Livermore, Phillips, Bartley and Reach and hopefully none of the four will feature then on Sunday!

Okay must start on Sunday as had more composure on the ball in 10 minutes than Livermore had for 80!

Need to play Cleary as number 9 this Thursday as we will never know how good he could be!

11 of the Championship sides playing tonight in the League Cup got knocked out by lower league teams.

The only 2 who went through, like ourselves, were in all Championship ties.

Probably reflects the importance the Championship sides put on this competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    11 of the Championship sides playing tonight in the League Cup got knocked out by lower league teams.

The only 2 who went through, like ourselves, were in all Championship ties.

Probably reflects the importance the Championship sides put on this competition.

So based on this information then Bruce will use his brain and start Cleary so we can all see what the kid can do!!! I suspect though Phillips or turd s hit Zohorse will start!

What’s the betting we still don’t see Cleary!?

I cannot believe just how thin our squad now is, is nobody else picking up on this?

When Mowatt goes we’re pretty much down to a first 14 of players and the rest will be lads Bruce has been scared to play.

We are dicing with disaster, a run of injuries will absolutely shaft us.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    What’s the betting we still don’t see Cleary!?

I cannot believe just how thin our squad now is, is nobody else picking up on this?

When Mowatt goes we’re pretty much down to a first 14 of players and the rest will be lads Bruce has been scared to play.

We are dicing with disaster, a run of injuries will absolutely shaft us.
    I am getting used to people not reading my posts but just for the record this is what I posted on the 1st August, AFTER the Boro game.

This is why I am amazed at the amount of optimism there is on the site at the moment. On the thread ‘where do you think we will finish this season’ I said for me there are 7 of the starters at Boro who no one will convince me should be automatic or regular names on the start sheet - Button, Furlong, Townsend, Livermore, Molumby, Phillips and Grant.

Add to that several players who were in the squad or on the bench who are not even as good as the 7 named, being Bartley, Mowatt, Robinson, Zahore, plus Reach.

Yes there are shining lights in Swift, Dike, Yokoslu and Wallace but they must be sitting at home wondering what the hell they have signed up for.

There are probably at least 12 sides with expectations to be in the top 6, so many are going to fail by that criteria.

I am just waiting for the honeymoon period to be over. I suspect during the month of August we will start to see momentum building to get rid of the Bruce’s. I can see this season turning ugly very quickly.

I have little hope for a great season so will not be joining the clamour for heads. It is the hope that kills you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)