+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Careless Tories!

Who takes over from careless Tories then Sith, right wing war mongering Labour, or drop your pants and principles to get in govt Lib Dems?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Who takes over from careless Tories then Sith, right wing war mongering Labour, or drop your pants and principles to get in govt Lib Dems?
    Lib Green pact anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It really does doesn’t it? And that saw the Tories in the wilderness for the next 13 years and even then it, ironically, took the Banking Crisis to really knock Labour off course.

Two differences for me. 1. The PM at the time (John Major) was an essentially decent man and I struggle to see anyone with any decency in the upper echelons of the current Conservative Party.
    2. The spectre of Farage didn’t exist and who knows what he and his financial backers/manipulators will come up with by the next election? Given the reality of Brexit he should be entirely discredited by now but, as has often been implied, our electorate has a somewhat limited capacity and many amongst them may still be reluctant to accept their mistake.
    Yes he was a decent bloke (and I do mean Major not Farage). Never stood a chance

good morning everyone, my body clocks ****ed up but I've had a quick scan through.
    Wow, this country really is a mess isn't it?
    Politicians bent/crooked/out of touch/in denial.

From failure to pay tax, to grinding Joe average tradesman into the dirt by pricing him off the road(I give you Khan defended by Lammy)
    The spiteful rhetoric between factions and the unabated invasion of the south coast at the expense of the taxpayer.
    The criminals aiding/abbetting them, from murderers to drug pushers. (oh BTW RA, I think you'll find your missing kids weren't kids in the first place. Pretty much like the piece of scum we took in claiming to be 14, but had already killed 2 in Serbia/drugs in Norway and booted out the country). Apparently they lie about their age?
    Strikes, Unions determined to ruin the country, energy companies raping in the money. Nothing changes.

I have just spent nearly a month in a country so tranquil to all of this bull ****.
    People full of respect(I'll come back to that).
    Prices that in no way reflect this so called global suffering. Fuel, 70p a litre/ meal for 6 BBQ £25 all in.

Travel- no entry card now needed. Your stay VISA free extended for 45 days. Can re new at a cop shop for a fiver 30 days(up to 6 months)
    No seperate passport queues, all treated the same, even with Thai nationals.
    Brought back the fags asked for. £15 for 200? I don't smoke, but I certainly wouldn't be paying £100 here if I did.

Sun shining , 30 deg everyday
    Then back here for this misery of politics/ cost of living/ ****ty human behaviour. Marvellous.

NB, RESPECT.

I stopped off in Pattaya for 2 nights on my way north to Koa Yai national park.
    What a **** hole it has become. Over run with Russians, who now hold the title of rudest, arrogant, poor behaved yobs in the world.
    They have no concept of queuing, treating the locals right (wai) or paying a fair price.
    The British lager lout has a bad rep, but this lot are something else.

Keep away from that and life was calm , relaxed and none of the bitter toxicity the UK spews out everyday.
    Still, I hope everyone is well and folks learn not to let life wind them up so much.
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 28-01-2023 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It really does doesn’t it? And that saw the Tories in the wilderness for the next 13 years and even then it, ironically, took the Banking Crisis to really knock Labour off course.

Two differences for me. 1. The PM at the time (John Major) was an essentially decent man and I struggle to see anyone with any decency in the upper echelons of the current Conservative Party.
    2. The spectre of Farage didn’t exist and who knows what he and his financial backers/manipulators will come up with by the next election? Given the reality of Brexit he should be entirely discredited by now but, as has often been implied, our electorate has a somewhat limited capacity and many amongst them may still be reluctant to accept their mistake.
    I do see differences between 97 and today.

Of course Majors government had seen us go through a recession, and had been beset by its own share of media scandals (lets not discuss toe sucking) but by 97 the economy was well into recovery mode. Major, as has been said, came across as decent.

The other factor in 97 was Blair and his new labour came across as young, fresh and vibrant. Im not sure the same could be said of todays labour party.

I know we play this game when it comes to football, is this team from this decade better than this team from decades past, but put todays labour up against the 97 government of Major and i dont think we would be witnessing the landslide that blair had, but then put blairs party up against todays tory government and the tories might barely get a seat.

Major does have a legacy that few PM's will ever be able to claim and thats his involvement in the NI peace process. How refreshing that two opposing leaders (major and blair) could have opposite views on many things but shared their belief in that process as shown by Blair inviting Major to be involved even after the election in 97, cant imagine that happening today.

One does wonder what would have happened had John Smith not died, another seemingly decent man who was taking the labour party in the right direct but did he had the same flair, youth and energy of blair? But no doubt would have contested the 97 election.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Yes he was a decent bloke (and I do mean Major not Farage). Never stood a chance
    Fundamentally a decent bloke who was lecturing the country on "back to basics" whilst shagging Edwina Curry! Of course by the very low bar set by the current Tory politicians he probably is, but essentially a weak leader and his privatisation of the railways has been an utter disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Fundamentally a decent bloke who was lecturing the country on "back to basics" whilst shagging Edwina Curry! Of course by the very low bar set by the current Tory politicians he probably is, but essentially a weak leader and his privatisation of the railways has been an utter disaster!
    That is, of course, true...and we all have our failings...but compared with what we have today, each time he speaks he seems like a comparative breath of fresh air to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post

Don’t begin to understand the second half of that post but, ‘who takes over from the careless Tories then...?’
    How about this for a novel idea...a collection of scrupulous people with integrity and values that include compassion, an understanding of the real world and a desire for greater egalitarianism over the never ending quest for personal wealth and greed.

I know, ‘that’s just pie in the sky rA’...but I don’t actually care which Party delivers it or even if it’s some sort of coalition...it’s what we need and someone needs to push the ‘reset’ button soon.

P.S. So far...and I never expected to say this...Justin Welby seems closest!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 28-01-2023 at 10:29 AM.

Let me help you understand: the last Labour government took us to 2 wars, and the Lib Dems were happy to jump in bed with the Tories to get into power, at the expense of their manifesto. If the Tories are "Careless", it's only fair to assign a similar generalisation to the other main parties. I wouldn't vote for any of the current 3, would rather spoil my paper.
    It's only "pie in the sky" because it's not on offer.

Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)