+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wimbledon match day

wimbledon match day

No way I was going to the match but will be happy to participate on I Follow. Nothing beats being in the away end however,
    All games are difficult and this one will be no different. I was so disappointed I haven't watched the highlights from last week, but look forward to SKY later this evening.

We are 3 rd in last 10 W6 D1 L3 F18 A 8 while they are 8th 4-4-2 8-5. A low score draw is indicated.

Not a team I would have expected. Senior in, Dennis and Garner start so JK and Omari on the bench. Barclay injured

Moxon booked. Orient 1 down Mansfield one up. I follow ****

Rochdale 1 up

Not a bad result methinks.

I'll take that but no goals again. Could it be that continually changing the front 2 isn't helping?

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    I'll take that but no goals again. Could it be that continually changing the front 2 isn't helping?
    everything goes in phases. We remain in a good position. April will be the key month.

Two home games coming up and 6 points would be very helpful. I fear April.

Some random thoughts on the day.

I like Wimbledon, I have pleasant memories of covering their playoff final (v Luton Town), which they won on penalties to get back into the League. It was a really enjoyable day. The fans and team were very much together, and their singing was loud and proud. In the first half on Saturday, when I was working in front of the home end their singing was still loud, what they lack in numbers they made up for in enthusiasm.

It was my first time at their new ground. It's a bit of a journey to get there, the last few miles are measured by how long it takes to get to the next traffic lights. Going on the supporter's bus meant I had no worries for parking and we disembarked right outside the ground.

If I was making a list of the most welcoming and helpful clubs I've visited (82) Wimbledon would be in the top 5. From getting directions to press entrance, to getting pitchside, chatting to stewards, their media, and photographers, all spot on.

The game itself, I didn't think we played badly. Wimbledon were organised, particularly at the back, we couldn't find a way through, it happens, and will again, but a point away is always worth having. Every one of the players worked hard, that's all I ask. I thought Wimbledon made a concerted effort to stop us getting the ball from midfield to the forwards and it mostly worked.

I didn't have anything to eat or drink at the ground so can't comment on the refreshments but I know some of our fans were very disappointed that "electrical problems" meant that beer couldn't be served at half time.

As new grounds go it was reasonable. There looked to be room to expand at least one of the stands, everything looked tidy. I loved the wooden bench outside the ground with a full-size Womble, nice touch.

The only thing I didn't like was the design of the pitch. It actually surprised me that new stadium are still allowed to build a pitch with quite a steep bank dropping from the pitch edge. It's a pain when you are taking photos of the dugouts and you cut off the coaches at the ankles.
    It kills your back when you are sitting on the slope taking photos through the game and you always have the slight worry that if you lean back you will fall off your stool. Those are just niggles though, the problem with the design was illustrated in the second half.

Dennis and a Wimbledon defender ran for a ball near the bi-line. In the process of winning the ball, near the corner flag Dennis stepped off the pitch onto the slope. The minute his foot hit the slope he was propelled forward and grabbed the handrail to stop himself from going over the top onto the concrete on the other side. The Wimbledon defender grabbed Dennis' leg, hauled him back and all was ok but to me, that design is an accident waiting to happen.

It took a while to get out of the metropolis, but then it was a good run home. I walked into my house around midnight, a long day but one more point brought back to Cumbria.

That's a great review bumble,I really enjoyed reading it, any chance that you can do another on your next away day?

What is the best ground that you've been to btw?

Have you been to Meadow Lane and will you visit next season when we swop places with bottom of the league Rochdale?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)