+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lineker to step back from MOTD

Lineker to step back from MOTD

Shouldn't shout his gob off. He's employed to be impartial and not to get involved.

Ian Wright is backing Lineker and will also not feature. Time for Alan Shearer to step in and take over?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557
    Last edited by Brin; 10-03-2023 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Shouldn't shout his gob off. He's employed to be impartial and not to get involved.

Ian Wright is backing Lineker and will also not feature. Time for Alan Shearer to step in and take over?

Really?

I think Alex Scott is a certain replacement

Lineker tries to look smart but his ego gets in the way.

Agree or not with his politics he is paid by the BBC to be impartial

Surely he is paid to be impartial on TV, not his whole life?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Surely he is paid to be impartial on TV, not his whole life?
    I’ve nothing against him spouting off but he was totally out of order with the words he used.

I don’t necessarily agree with what he’s said but I don’t see why he shouldn’t be allowed to say it. He’s a football presenter, not a newsreader so why should anyone really care what his thoughts on the subject are? It’s irrelevant to his job. I thought he was paid to present football shows, not to be impartial about politics.

Alan Sugar is paid a fortune by the BBC for The Apprentice and he posts political opinions all the time. What’s the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    I don’t necessarily agree with what he’s said but I don’t see why he shouldn’t be allowed to say it. He’s a football presenter, not a newsreader so why should anyone really care what his thoughts on the subject are? It’s irrelevant to his job. I thought he was paid to present football shows, not to be impartial about politics.

Alan Sugar is paid a fortune by the BBC for The Apprentice and he posts political opinions all the time. What’s the difference?
    None

But that’s the BBC

Double standards

But back to the original point, if you take the BBC’s money you are bound by their ( mock) impartiality rules.

Not the first time Lineker has been in this position, but his ego gets in the way of sense.

No doubt other mouthy celebrities will join him, those with massive egos and small brains

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    None

But that’s the BBC

Double standards

But back to the original point, if you take the BBC’s money you are bound by their ( mock) impartiality rules.

Not the first time Lineker has been in this position, but his ego gets in the way of sense.

No doubt other mouthy celebrities will join him, those with massive egos and small brains
    Do you really care about what he said? Would you even know he’d said it if it wasn’t in the news? I know I can answer no to both of those questions. I think it’s just a lot of people who don’t like him or the salary he gets and want to see him get a kicking. Same thing happened with Jonathan Ross.

Out of interest, Would you be saying the same if he’d posted that we should send the boat people back to where they came?

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    Do you really care about what he said? Would you even know he’d said it if it wasn’t in the news? I know I can answer no to both of those questions. I think it’s just a lot of people who don’t like him or the salary he gets and want to see him get a kicking. Same thing happened with Jonathan Ross.

Out of interest, Would you be saying the same if he’d posted that we should send the boat people back to where they came?
    Yes

That’s the whole point of impartiality the BBC claims to follow

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes

That’s the whole point of impartiality the BBC claims to follow
    Ok.

In that case I’m surprised you’re not backing him for standing up to the BBC and their ‘mock’ impartiality claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

Can of worms this thread Brin,I will go for 100+ replies.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast