+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Bostock's Free Kick Equaliser

John Bostock's Free Kick Equaliser

Having nearly recovered from the 2 play off games, including all the bruises from crashing in to the Wembley seats with my sons, and having rewatched everything 20x......I think John Bostock's equalising free kick has been very undervalued.
    Looking at it from all angles from the various tv and utube blogs, and learning that the Notts goalkeeping coach had spotted a potential weakness in Fitzimmons, and considering it was in the 88th minute and he would have got pelters x10 if it had gone the other side of the post for a goalkick, please consider-
    -the pressure of the situation (more than his penalty in many ways)
    --the very wide angle that made it impossible to think he could get a left foot shot to trouble the goalie
    -the pace and whip he hit the ball with
    -the absolute incredible accuracy of the shot as there was only one small spot that could possibly threaten the goal. It was just inside the near post literally on a sixpence.
    -the fact that it bounced awkwardly just inches before the target spot, which goalies always hate.

All of this combined makes this the standout piece of skill I've seen in ages...closely followed by Archie's 2nd acrobatic save with his trailing foot.
    Everyone has just written it off as a terrible goalkeeping mistake....and of course it was an error.....but it was a piece of magnificent skill to get him in to make that error.
    Bostock was magnificent on the day, and received lots of attention for his penalty miss, but his brilliant free kick deserves considerably more praise than it has.
    In my humble opinion.
    What a season to have moved down from Glasgow to East Yorkshire!!!
    David
    Xxxx

I mentioned this the other day as well - for a left footer to curl the ball in from there was ridiculous.

Lovely interview with him here about the Panenka:

https://twitter.com/5liveSport/statu...Cx0bWhk4MuAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by glasgowdave View Post
    Having nearly recovered from the 2 play off games, including all the bruises from crashing in to the Wembley seats with my sons, and having rewatched everything 20x......I think John Bostock's equalising free kick has been very undervalued.
    Looking at it from all angles from the various tv and utube blogs, and learning that the Notts goalkeeping coach had spotted a potential weakness in Fitzimmons, and considering it was in the 88th minute and he would have got pelters x10 if it had gone the other side of the post for a goalkick, please consider-
    -the pressure of the situation (more than his penalty in many ways)
    --the very wide angle that made it impossible to think he could get a left foot shot to trouble the goalie
    -the pace and whip he hit the ball with
    -the absolute incredible accuracy of the shot as there was only one small spot that could possibly threaten the goal. It was just inside the near post literally on a sixpence.
    -the fact that it bounced awkwardly just inches before the target spot, which goalies always hate.

All of this combined makes this the standout piece of skill I've seen in ages...closely followed by Archie's 2nd acrobatic save with his trailing foot.
    Everyone has just written it off as a terrible goalkeeping mistake....and of course it was an error.....but it was a piece of magnificent skill to get him in to make that error.
    Bostock was magnificent on the day, and received lots of attention for his penalty miss, but his brilliant free kick deserves considerably more praise than it has.
    In my humble opinion.
    What a season to have moved down from Glasgow to East Yorkshire!!!
    David
    Xxxx
    Great post.
    The accuracy was amazing. He'd be concentrating so much on the line - 5inches either side and it hits the wall or the post or is saved. I wonder about the bounce though - if that was meant it has to be up there with the best pieces of skill ever by a Notts player

Name:  Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 10.24.45.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  20.6 KB

Can get a couple of London double deckers through that gap left by Fitz

Great team work on and off the field

Yowzers!!! From that view/angle it looks like he could have also slipped Nemane in with ease.

Glad he didn't

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Yowzers!!! From that view/angle it looks like he could have also slipped Nemane in with ease.

Glad he didn't
    If you look at the Video though, at the time Bossie struck the ball, Fitz was right over the other side of the goal, what a howler from Fitz...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1657422231511736327

I am convinced JB was intending to try and get the ball to bounce where it did or fractionally in font.

Fitz set himself up for a cross, by the time he realised it was too late. However to let it slip uuder him was partly due to how accurate the shot was, it hit the ground under him. It was a great free kick but a howler for Fitz

We were sat about level with the free kick and my brother said Bostock will hit this round the wall into the bottom left corner.😁😁 Hey presto, he did.
    Have to go now, he's picking my lottery numbers for the weekend.

Unbelievable balls to do it at that time in the game. I said it after the game, one of the best displays I’ve ever seen in a county shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast