+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Laurel & Hardy Are Back At the Cinema

O/T Laurel & Hardy Are Back At the Cinema

About 4 years ago many of you missed out on seeing a fair few of the L&H films that were re shown at the cinema. I said I would keep you informed if any more popped up.

There will be a worldwide premiere of the new restoration of Dirty Work followed by the recently restored version of Sons Of The Desert which will be shown at Showcase cinemas. The Screenings are Sun Oct 15th and Tue Oct 17th 2023.

Thanks for that info. I have that box set of all their films and watch them regularly but it would be nice to see them on the big screen again. Bring back memories of a Saturday morning at the ABC Minors at the Regal Cinema Handsworth. Making lollipop stick skimmers and chucking them at the seats at the front.

Here is the link for anyone who wishes to buy tickets in advance

https://tinyurl.com/2p97mn8y

Greatest double act of all time, I still p I s s myself laughing at their stuff.

Wonderful, unique and perfect chemistry, we’ve never seen their like again in my opinion.

Weird isn't it that a generation of kids born in the late 50s/early 60s were shown -and enjoyed-so many old films that were made in the 30s. Not just Laurel and Hardy but Buster Crabbe in Flash Gordon and Johnny Weissmuller in Tarzan. Have a few on DVD and 're watch them even now occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Weird isn't it that a generation of kids born in the late 50s/early 60s were shown -and enjoyed-so many old films that were made in the 30s. Not just Laurel and Hardy but Buster Crabbe in Flash Gordon and Johnny Weissmuller in Tarzan. Have a few on DVD and 're watch them even now occasionally.
    In the 70’s we were watching this stuff that was 40-60 years old.

They don’t even show classic stuff from the 60’s onwards on terrestrial TV anymore.

I loved Bilko, every kid should get to see Phil Silvers and all the old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    In the 70’s we were watching this stuff that was 40-60 years old.

They don’t even show classic stuff from the 60’s onwards on terrestrial TV anymore.

I loved Bilko, every kid should get to see Phil Silvers and all the old stuff.
    Must admit that -much to the better hall's annoyance😁-my ever growing DVD collection includes a nostalgia section from my childhood so have shows like The Champions, Voyage to the bottom of the sea, Tarzan (Ron Ely), Man from Uncle, The Flashing Blade and various Gerry Anderson series amongst others.

I love movies and over many years have built up quite a collection from the early days of cinema onwards but the better half amongst others cannot understand how I can enjoy either old b&w movies (some of which are admittedly quite creaky by today's standards) or anything with subtitles. To me, age doesn't matter, like music I can enjoy films from many years ago and those that scoff don't know what they are missing!

The most amazing stunt ever, IMO. 6 inches in any direction and he died!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0I7R_NCe4

Quote Originally Posted by Titchfieldbaggie View Post
    The most amazing stunt ever, IMO. 6 inches in any direction and he died!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0I7R_NCe4
    I remember all the talk over Michael Crawford's stunts in "Some Mothers" ( who must have been channeling his own inner Keaton or Harold Lloyd) but even those weren't as risky as some of these much earlier (pre HASAW &#128513 stunts. Whilst a few modern action hero stars like Keanu Reeves do their own fight scenes, with the exception of Tom Cruise, you rarely see the major film stars put themselves in such dangerous situations these days.

An old friend of mine (long since gone) remembers them coming out of the hotel in Dudley and tipping their bowler hats to him as they came out of the hotel doorway. The one on the corner opposite the Zoo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)