+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Man City v Albion 69- 70 League cup final

Man City v Albion 69- 70 League cup final

My 4th Albion cup final in 5 years , would have been 5 if Alan Clark sneaked a goal in the 68 Fa Cup semi.
    Our last cup apart from the Watney cup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5u4LTonXI

Great cross from Ray Wilson for Astle’s goal.
    (We lost in extra time)
    vs Man City
    Are we talking about the same match soulman buddy ?

Thanks for posting Soul man 👍

May have lost but tbh Man City were the better team on the day who should have scored a lot earlier given the number of shots they had. Still a great game to watch and Astle's header a reminder of just how good he was.

Typical 70s football-heavy ball, heavy pitch and heavy tackles with scant regard for any injuries (Mike Summerbee) but plenty of grit and determination on display to go along with the skills needed to play in such conditions. Football in the days before money ruined the game and Man City under Mercer didn't need shed loads of money to be successful. May be rose tinted glasses as footballers today may be both physically fitter and technically better but when I re-watch these matches from the 70s particularly I can't help but think that something is missing from the current game.

Despite the loss, good to re-watch the old players in action. Osborne, Fraser, Talbot, Cantello, Kaye, Hope, Wilson, Hartford, Suggett and, of course, Bomber and Astle. The past really does seem like a different country sometimes doesn't it?

I even remember the weather that day - A really cold day with quite a lot of snow everywhere

I was there and it was a very exciting game!

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    My 4th Albion cup final in 5 years , would have been 5 if Alan Clark sneaked a goal in the 68 Fa Cup semi.
    Our last cup apart from the Watney cup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5u4LTonXI
    Spoilt rotten you were. I've never seen us in a cup final. Not even on TV. I was only four months young when we won in '68. 55 now and only one semi final defeat for all those years, games and all that money. Still, I take a small piece of solice from the fact we have at least won something in my bloody lifetime 😂 .

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Spoilt rotten you were. I've never seen us in a cup final. Not even on TV. I was only four months young when we won in '68. 55 now and only one semi final defeat for all those years, games and all that money. Still, I take a small piece of solice from the fact we have at least won something in my bloody lifetime �� .
    My Ist Cup final was Leeds v Liverpool 1965 this was Liverpolls Ist FA Cup win , My Dad won the raffle at the social club.
    The Ref was Bill Clemonts from West Brom ,a couple of weeks after he came to do a talk at our school and show us his medal .
    I told him we won the tickets, he winked and said I wonder where they come from .

My first Albion match was the week before this final … 3-3 home draw v Wolves. Great game and remember the newspaper headline “Albion ready for Wembley”. Broke my heart when we lost to Man City.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)