+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Next manager

Quote Originally Posted by ZakkTheMakk View Post
    No problem, I've thankfully managed to erase those years from my memory so wouldn't be surprised if in actual fact there weren't any highlights at all.

Just listened to the Scottish Football Podcast and Tom English was mentioning that managers would be hesitant to take over the hotseat at Aberdeen due to managers not being backed if things don't go well immediately, what absolute tripe! Robson was given far longer than he should have, it was apparent ages ago that he wasn't the right man for the job. I'd go as far back as Oct when dissenting voices were being heard consistently but it takes until almost Feb before he got his jotters. Goodwin was another that outlasted what he should have, the run after the World Cup was horrendous and to survive Hearts at the tail end of it, followed by Darvel AND THEN Hibs shows he was given time. Glass I feel was the only one that never got to see out his full plans for the club, Cormack shat the bed early on with that appointment but for there to be this narrative that we fire managers too soon and don't give them a chance to correct mistakes is nonsense.
    Tom English is best left to his expertise - odd-shaped ball handling.

Next Aberdeen manager odds in full:

Alex Neil 2/1

Paul Heckingbottom 3/1

Neil Lennon 3/1

Derek McInnes 4/1

Paul Lambert 4/1

Robbie Neilson 10/1

Paul Ince 10/1

Dwight Yorke 10/1

Neil Warnock 14/1

Frank Lampard 20/1

Mick McCarthy 25/1

Michael Duff 25/1

Steve Bruce 25/1

Quote Originally Posted by swaddon2 View Post

Alex Neil 2/1

Paul Heckingbottom 3/1

Neil Lennon 3/1

Derek McInnes 4/1

Paul Lambert 4/1

Robbie Neilson 10/1

Paul Ince 10/1

Dwight Yorke 10/1

Neil Warnock 14/1

Frank Lampard 20/1

Mick McCarthy 25/1

Michael Duff 25/1

Steve Bruce 25/1
    For full time manager then none of the above for me.

Someone to come in and steady the ship until the summer works however unless they can secure a manager of real quality before then.

As a side note, I wouldn't be averse to getting Robson back in with the under 18's as there appeared to be good work done there the last time.

Alex Neil 2/1

Paul Heckingbottom 3/1

Neil Lennon 3/1

Derek McInnes 4/1

Paul Lambert 4/1

Robbie Neilson 10/1

Paul Ince 10/1

Dwight Yorke 10/1

Neil Warnock 14/1

Frank Lampard 20/1

Mick McCarthy 25/1

Michael Duff 25/1

Steve Bruce 25/1
    What a depressing list of the usual suspects, in general.

Alex Neil?
    Is he worth a look?

Would like to see Ricardo Rodriguez given a go if available, he is in China though, so it may not be an option.
    Was hoping he was going to be given the job last year, but it was not to be.
    Dare say the usual suspects will mentioned, Lennon, Robinson, Lambert, Alex Neil.
    I would like to see someone who will bring something different to the club especially tactical wise, someone who is a great coach and can maximize our recourses and the facilities at Cormack Park. A good coach can change players improving them as players and collective as a team.
    Let’s go bold and not predictable.

For full time manager then none of the above for me.

Someone to come in and steady the ship until the summer works however unless they can secure a manager of real quality before then.

As a side note, I wouldn't be averse to getting Robson back in with the under 18's as there appeared to be good work done there the last time.
    What happens if said manager does more than just “steady the ship” like Robson did?

Are we in a position where we can afford to be choosy and put a decent guy in place short term but with no chance of getting the job full time because he’s not good enough for that but he’ll do to “steady the ship”?

Just intrigued about this mindset and asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    What happens if said manager does more than just “steady the ship” like Robson did?

Are we in a position where we can afford to be choosy and put a decent guy in place short term but with no chance of getting the job full time because he’s not good enough for that but he’ll do to “steady the ship”?

Just intrigued about this mindset and asking for a friend.
    I think there's a difference between an experienced manager coming in to steady the ship and exceeding expectations compared to a rookie/untested manager like Robson was. There are different challenges that could surface with both scenarios but I think with regards Robson then in hindsight we shouldn't have appointed him even after the amazing run he went on due to his lack of experience. If an experienced manager were to do the same thing then I'd have no objections to them retaining the position if they were made aware before getting the interim post that this was a potential.

We should always be in a position to be choosy otherwise we are the ones getting lumbered rather than being in the preferred picking position, obviously our pool of potential candidates is a great deal shallower than Sevco/Celtic but if we don't talk ourselves up to be a big club then who else will?

Alex Neil 2/1

Paul Heckingbottom 3/1

Neil Lennon 3/1

Derek McInnes 4/1

Paul Lambert 4/1

Robbie Neilson 10/1

Paul Ince 10/1

Dwight Yorke 10/1

Neil Warnock 14/1

Frank Lampard 20/1

Mick McCarthy 25/1

Michael Duff 25/1

Steve Bruce 25/1
    There’s a couple of managers on that list I would happily take but I don’t personally see the point of taking on Warnock until the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    There’s a couple of managers on that list I would happily take but I don’t personally see the point of taking on Warnock until the end of the season.
    Those couple being and the reasons behind them?

Those couple being and the reasons behind them?
    Because you said you didn’t want anyone on that list

Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast