+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Saudis Offer 1.1 Billion For Serie A Club

Saudis Offer 1.1 Billion For Serie A Club

I'm not a fan of this multi-club ownership but I do think having a club like Roma to potentially do business with is a good thing..

Also states in the article as part of their proposal to buy the club they are going to build them a new stadium..

That will 100% happen here.. I dont believe anything at all about this potential expansion of St James Park..

Anyway... Link...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidfe...-serie-a-club/

Issue here is if we finish a season 3rd and they finish 2nd, or any scenario where they have a higher finishing spot than us and we would both normally qualify for the CL… then we would not get a spot in the CL.

I’d guess it is a lot easier to get to grips with Serie A for Roma than it is gonna be for us, with them already 5th in the table as it stands, they finished 6th the last 2 seasons.

Could end our CL ambitions for quite some time, and without CL footy how do we attract the players to finish higher…

Aye that is a concern.

What I was thinking about as well Ian.

My gut has always told me that the Saudis are not here for the very long term. They are very restricted in what they can do under FFP and now the profit and sustainability rules.

Another thing the got me thinking this is the training facilities, under FFP they can spend as much as they like in the training facilities and other things in the background, now they did invest and are doing them up a bit however I was expecting a state of the art upgrade to commence.

With all the other Saudi projects they’re always out to show their will be no expense spared, feels very different with us and it’s not all down to FFP.

I thought trainning ground stuff was because they wanted to build a new state of the art and they were looking for locations.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneymcRingRing View Post
    My gut has always told me that the Saudis are not here for the very long term. They are very restricted in what they can do under FFP and now the profit and sustainability rules.

Another thing the got me thinking this is the training facilities, under FFP they can spend as much as they like in the training facilities and other things in the background, now they did invest and are doing them up a bit however I was expecting a state of the art upgrade to commence.

With all the other Saudi projects they’re always out to show their will be no expense spared, feels very different with us and it’s not all down to FFP.
    They’re an investment fund and our turnover has doubled since they arrived and set to continue increasing. I think they’re achieving what they set out to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Nufcian View Post
    Issue here is if we finish a season 3rd and they finish 2nd, or any scenario where they have a higher finishing spot than us and we would both normally qualify for the CL… then we would not get a spot in the CL.

I’d guess it is a lot easier to get to grips with Serie A for Roma than it is gonna be for us, with them already 5th in the table as it stands, they finished 6th the last 2 seasons.

Could end our CL ambitions for quite some time, and without CL footy how do we attract the players to finish higher…
    Premier League is much more attractive money-wise than Serie A, so I dont think their main focus will be italian club.
    Also RB Leipzig and Red Bull Salzburg are owned by the same company and were in CL together.
    And did UEFA already said that Girona can make it to CL despite being in City group?

Quote Originally Posted by Marat18 View Post
    Premier League is much more attractive money-wise than Serie A, so I dont think their main focus will be italian club.
    Also RB Leipzig and Red Bull Salzburg are owned by the same company and were in CL together.
    And did UEFA already said that Girona can make it to CL despite being in City group?
    I hope you’re right, my concern is Roma is starting from a much higher starting position in the league if they get taken over and it wouldn’t take as much money to sustainably pump them into the CL spots.

I only know that I have been winding my neighbour up that regardless of Man Utd’s end of the season, even if they manage to somehow get 4th or 5th, that Nice are second in Ligue 1 and they’d not get CL footy on the back of that down to Radcliff

On RB and Red Bull, I don’t think noises have finished but reading into it it took removal of board members to satisfy EUFA and was predicated by suspicious transfers between clubs… something the PL would never let us get away with anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneymcRingRing View Post

I think PIF are here long term, and the diversification of Saudi wealth is probably the biggest indicator that fossil fuel is on the decline (relatively speaking) and they are establishing themselves with brand new markets and a brand new image well in advance so their economy and country doesn’t go from super important and super influential to not being relevant to the rest of the world… hence the investment into g
    Football/Golf/Boxing which has a massive global footprint.

I agree about them not being long term..

Maybe the next 10 years..

However, we would be able to play CL if another owned club also plays CL..

Redbull owns clubs in the CL, Man City owners too

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)