+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Itís about time James Cryne spoke up !!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,370

    Itís about time James Cryne spoke up !!!

    Leading on from the Barnsley v Orient thread where it goes onto discuss the tactics of Collins.

    If any supporter thinks Collins is doing a good job then they either donít understand what the club directors have been saying over recent years - OR they havenít been listening to what the club directors have been saying in recent years.

    Whichever way you describe the comments from the club - vertical football - Barnsley system - Barnsley Mould or the latest one the ĎGame Modelí there needs to be some clarity from James Cryne to say whether this way of doing things still exists..

    Because the evidence on the field suggests that it doesnít - or at least the boundaries have been blurred.
    Stats - 60+% possession against Orient.
    (Note - Liverpool who play a similar style to Barnsley have the lowest rate of possession in the Premier)

    However, the evidence on recruitment suggests that the original blueprint is still in play i.e. strong fast athletic players that can both attack and defend are still being recruited.

    The latest statements from the club saying that the Director of Football is to ensure the Game Model is followed throughout all levels at the club.
    This statement has to be clarified.

    Why is this important - because you only have to look through media outlets, message boards etc, to see that some supporters are mystified at what they are currently witnessing on the field.
    Iíd suggest that this is also responsible for flattening some of the atmosphere at Oakwell.

    So - James Cryne.
    Please clarify - what is the current ĎGame Modelí - and has it been changed this season???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

    If any supporter thinks Collins is doing a good job then they either don’t understand what the club directors have been saying over recent years - OR they haven’t been listening to what the club directors have been saying in recent years.
    I would think the "average Joe" Barnsley fan, of which I include myself, is happy enough with the job Collins is doing. He has a weaker squad in defence and attack than last season but still better than most in the Third Division and Collins has them in the Play Off zone.

    These Club Directors appointed Collins and they will be delighted he is doing well with next to nothing spent on the squad. Win, Win.

    For long periods in most games the crowd are numb and see little to get Oakwell rocking (as in the last few minutes against Orient) but results are good

    James Cryne is now "so last year" now that Big Mladen Sormaz is about to burst on the scene at Grove Street.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,370
    Good post SB.
    Majority on here seem happy admittedly - but Iím not getting that from supporters that I talk to face to face.
    General consensus and opinion I usually get is something on the lines of - Ďitís cr@p init, but at least we are winningí.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Good post SB.
    Majority on here seem happy admittedly - but I’m not getting that from supporters that I talk to face to face.
    General consensus and opinion I usually get is something on the lines of - ‘it’s cr@p init, but at least we are winning’.
    You make your judgements on players , managers & people who are in your ear, I tend to make my judgements on watching matches & not on 2 minutes sky highlights, that is probably why we are usually poles apart with our opinions , for instance you are waxing lyrical about one pass you saw on a highlight of saturday"s match where the real highlights were the fantastic saves their keeper made to keep us from scoring , in the first half alone he pulled some tremendous saves from well created attacking football , none of this was shown on the highlights so how you can come up with your assessments baffles me .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    You make your judgements on players , managers & people who are in your ear, I tend to make my judgements on watching matches & not on 2 minutes sky highlights, that is probably why we are usually poles apart with our opinions , for instance you are waxing lyrical about one pass you saw on a highlight of saturday"s match where the real highlights were the fantastic saves their keeper made to keep us from scoring , in the first half alone he pulled some tremendous saves from well created attacking football , none of this was shown on the highlights so how you can come up with your assessments baffles me .
    Shads - do you really believe that Sky Sports Highlights of the Orient game is the only bit of football Iíve seen Barnsley play this season ???
    One way or another Iíve only missed 2 games.

    You were only saying the other day about not wanting to see defenders playing tippy tappy (possession) football.
    Well what you said then relates to what Iím more or less saying here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Shads - do you really believe that Sky Sports Highlights of the Orient game is the only bit of football I’ve seen Barnsley play this season ???
    One way or another I’ve only missed 2 games.

    You were only saying the other day about not wanting to see defenders playing tippy tappy (possession) football.
    Well what you said then relates to what I’m more or less saying here.
    I only go on what you spout on here , your words not mine , the last two games you have said that you had only watched the highlights , the other week when we were playing at home you stated that you chose to go round town with your wife instead of going to the match , which is all fine , it is your choice & you should do want you want , I have absolutely no problem with that ,what I have a problem is when you come on spouting about this that the other like you are some top analyst when in your next breath you say that you only saw the highlights , its like me coming on here describing a brilliant film when I have only seen the trailer .

  7. #7
    Quite a few home games this season havenít been easy to watch but weíve still got good results. I would much rather that than playing like prime Barca and getting 0 points.

    Away from home weíve mostly been excellent, barring the odd game.

    I think thereís a correlation between the 2 with teams coming to Oakwell, sitting deep and hitting us on the counter. When we are away, teams have to open up a bit more in front of their own fans.

    Overall Iíd say Iím happy with Collins and I would guess the board are too.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,370
    I think youíve touched on a good point there Nerf.

    We try to play possession football at home - but IMO we only have Kane who is capable of playing that style.

    Away from home itís the opposition that try to take the lead role - and we revert back to more like the vertical football style that has brought us rewards in the past.
    Putting pressure on the opposition to make a mistake - then pouncing on that mistake.
    Weíve seen it away from home - but very little of that when playing at home.

    Collins needs to understand that we win by scoring more goals than the opposition.
    We donít win just by having more possession.
    Home and away tactics need to be more or less the same.

    The Ismael team played like a cat stalking its prey - it crept up stealthily and then sprang when the players saw a certain trigger.
    The team moved forward as one unit.

    When was the last time we saw our 3 centre backs stood on the halfway line ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

    When was the last time we saw our 3 centre backs stood on the halfway line ?
    We haven't the pace to recover if a ball is played into the space behind them. Only works if you have a sweeper keeper with the awareness of Brad Collins.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Leading on from the Barnsley v Orient thread where it goes onto discuss the tactics of Collins.

    If any supporter thinks Collins is doing a good job then they either donít understand what the club directors have been saying over recent years - OR they havenít been listening to what the club directors have been saying in recent years.

    Whichever way you describe the comments from the club - vertical football - Barnsley system - Barnsley Mould or the latest one the ĎGame Modelí there needs to be some clarity from James Cryne to say whether this way of doing things still exists..

    Because the evidence on the field suggests that it doesnít - or at least the boundaries have been blurred.
    Stats - 60+% possession against Orient.
    (Note - Liverpool who play a similar style to Barnsley have the lowest rate of possession in the Premier)

    However, the evidence on recruitment suggests that the original blueprint is still in play i.e. strong fast athletic players that can both attack and defend are still being recruited.

    The latest statements from the club saying that the Director of Football is to ensure the Game Model is followed throughout all levels at the club.
    This statement has to be clarified.

    Why is this important - because you only have to look through media outlets, message boards etc, to see that some supporters are mystified at what they are currently witnessing on the field.
    Iíd suggest that this is also responsible for flattening some of the atmosphere at Oakwell.

    So - James Cryne.
    Please clarify - what is the current ĎGame Modelí - and has it been changed this season???
    Quite a number of points that don't pass the test of reality YN , although we've been down this road a number of times .

    The Val way of playing was made up shyte , there was no " Game Model " then as there isn't now .

    When Val was appointed he clearly assessed what he had to work with on the training ground and in his first three games .

    His third game was a midweek away game at Cardiff City and we were well beaten 3-0 , a very weak performance which included Elliot Simoes , Simoes never played for the club again .

    He clearly deduced that unless he came up with something with the players that he had at his disposal it was going to be a struggle to stay up .

    His first job was to promote young Victor from the absolutely no where to give us some muscle up top and Victor played very well at Derby the next away game and even scored a cracker in a 2-0 win .

    The system he deployed started to get some points on the board but the first sign of what was to come was a home game against Bournemouth which was covered by Sky TV , Mowatt , Kane and James spent the whole game lobbing balls from the half way line in behind the Bournemouth back three with our three forwards pressing them .

    We lost 4-0 but it wasn't a 4-0 game , Bournemouth scored three worldies that night but that's the night Val knew he needed more muscle up top plus extra legs because our forwards that night were blowing out of their asses on 50 minutes .

    What made Val ball work was when Morris and Dike arrived and we won 7 on the trot to hit the play off spots which we never relinquished .

    That's what happened YN .

    It was simply Val ball , there was no " Game Model " and when he left for WBA that was that .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •