+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Clarets v Gunners Match Preview.

Clarets v Gunners Match Preview.

Clarets Mad - Clarets v Gunners, English Premier League Match Preview.
    Venue: Turf Moor, Harry Potts Way, Burnley, BB10 4BX.
    Kick-off – 15-00 - 17th February 2023.

Saturday brings together a genuine EPL title contender and a team desperate to avoid relegation back to the Championship from where they came only nine short months ago.

Arsenal will arrive at Turf Moor on the back of a 6-0 away day thumping of David Moyes’ bewitched Hammers at the London Stadium and it appears obvious Burnley have much to do to get anything out of this fixture.

Burnley boss Vincent Kompany still believes his team can survive the dreaded drop, while Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta is involved in a three-way title shoot-out with Manchester City and Liverpool.

Both teams need the points for vastly different reasons, but the Gunners’ points total of 52 points from 24 games against Burnley’s 13 points from the same number of games played suggests the Clarets are in for a very difficult Saturday afternoon at Turf Moor.

One’s to watch: Lyle Foster missed last weekend’s defeat at Liverpool and remains an injury doubt. Wilson Odobert and Chelsea loanee David Fofana are likely to form the Clarets’ offensive threat with Zeki Amdouni fitting into a three-man attacking unit. Not scoring enough and conceding too many goals are the reason Burnley are in deep relegation trouble.

For the Gunners it really is a case of take your pick, household names like Saka, Rice, Saliba, Gabriel, Jesus and Odegaard are all in cracking form and provided the backbone of the team that slaughtered the Irons last weekend. It really is hard to see how Burnley can prevent them from scoring a bagful of goals.

Verdict: Hard to disagree with the bookmakers on this one. I’m going for a 4-1 away win, it hurts for me as a life-long Burnley fan to say it, but the Clarets really are swimming in a different talent pool to Arsenal at present.

Footnote: Vincent Kompany might find a glimmer of hope if the Gunners are distracted by having one eye on their Champions League round of 16 Champions League fixture in Porto on Wednesday 21.02.24 and take their eye off the ball at Turf Moor. It seems unlikely but we desperate Burnley fans look for help from wherever we can get it.

Whatever the outcome, enjoy the game. (TEC).

Attachment 25726

Arsenal were so dominant against West Ham that Arteta could start resting half his team from midway in the second half. We are up against it here. We should have scored more at Anfield and I hope we can score a couple of goals at home v the Gunners. Unfortunately we are likely to concede more at our end. Trafford is a good shot stopper but we have such defensive frailty against corners, free kicks etc that Arsenal especially Declan Rice will surely exploit this weakness as so many others have already done.

Somewhat worryingly Arsenal are the EPL set-piece kings, having scored more goals from set plays than other other EPL team this season.

They had a bit of crisis in December, just one win in seven games, but they're flying again now, 16 goals in their last 4 games, and you can't imagine they'll take their foot off the pedal against us.

1/3 with Bet365, if you have £300 you don't mind risking, it's got to be as near to a free £100 as you'll ever get. And if you lose your money it means we've got something out of the game, so Happy Days.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Arsenal were so dominant against West Ham that Arteta could start resting half his team from midway in the second half. We are up against it here. We should have scored more at Anfield and I hope we can score a couple of goals at home v the Gunners. Unfortunately we are likely to concede more at our end. Trafford is a good shot stopper but we have such defensive frailty against corners, free kicks etc that Arsenal especially Declan Rice will surely exploit this weakness as so many others have already done.
    Rice is pound for pound the best defensive midfielder I’ve seen outwood.

He reads the game brilliantly and positions himself with absolute class - after all that he can play a bit as well.

Excited to see him live tbh - tv is one thing but live is something special.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post

He reads the game brilliantly and positions himself with absolute class - after all that he can play a bit as well.

I rate him very highly but don't think he's in the same class as Stevie G.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post

Poor man's John Deary, put Jack Cork on him, he'd keep him quiet.

My guess is that we will give Saka and Martinelli or Trossard too much room and pay the price.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)