+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Warmest spring since

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    17,596

    Warmest spring since

    Records began, hottest May since records began.

    Yawn yawn yawn

    Have the met office got the contract for tannadice attendance figs as well. 😎

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,753
    How do they work out these figures. Dundee freezing 5 degrees, Pitlochry boiling 25 degrees.Average might be 15degrees. Are of Pitlochry 1 sq mile, area of Dundee say 2 sq miles. Do they manage to incorporate the area covered by the given temperature?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    How do they work out these figures. Dundee freezing 5 degrees, Pitlochry boiling 25 degrees.Average might be 15degrees. Are of Pitlochry 1 sq mile, area of Dundee say 2 sq miles. Do they manage to incorporate the area covered by the given temperature?
    The figures are calculated by adding the maximum temperature during the day to the minimum temperature during the night and dividing by two to get the average temperature for the day.
    It is likely that the minimum temperature during the nights in the past spring period have been milder than normal due to a lack of frost thanks to a lot more rainfall than normal in the south of England.
    This results in the ‘warmest’ spring on record despite it not being particularly warm during the day time period.
    The Climate Change ‘experts’ will twist weather records to suit their own agenda.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    How do they work out these figures. Dundee freezing 5 degrees, Pitlochry boiling 25 degrees.Average might be 15degrees. Are of Pitlochry 1 sq mile, area of Dundee say 2 sq miles. Do they manage to incorporate the area covered by the given temperature?
    Averages mean nothing. If two people are going to get the five o clock train and the first arrives five minutes early and the second five minutes late on average they both catch the train. I rest my case!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    Averages mean nothing. If two people are going to get the five o clock train and the first arrives five minutes early and the second five minutes late on average they both catch the train. I rest my case!
    What average measure are you applying here? Mean, median or mode?

    How can someone arriving five minutes late to catch a train actually catch it? The 5 o'clock train leaves at 5 o'clock, if you get there at five minutes past you've missed it. If the train's late and the person arriving late catches it the reason isn't that they arrived late but that they were lucky because the train was running late. In this instance there's an external influence on the outcome, i.e. the train's on time departure which skews any data you might use to prove your theory.

    I'm not sure that variance of train on time departure data would show a normal distribution if you used two and a half or five minutes late / early as your mean, but would be more than happy to be proven wrong. Obviously I haven't done the research and am simply challenging your rested case.

    My theory is if you arrive five minutes late for 100 trains you'll miss more than you'll catch.

    I also have a theory on climate change. Yes climate change is happening but it's more due to the fact that the planet is coming out of an ice age than Shell pulling oil and gas out of the North Sea. If us older folks cast our minds back to e=when we were young we can easily argue that summers were hotter and longer whilst winters were both colder at times and warmer at times and that there's no difference today. In 1976 when we had a long, hot summer followed by a harsh winter there were no climate activists around to warn of looming planetary disaster and lo and behold - no planetary disaster.

    The other part of my theory on climate change is that if that bag of perfection and irrefutable climate knowledge Greta Thunberg was to be burned as a witch her carbon effect on the planet would surely be enough to counter all the fossil fuels burned in 100 years across the globe?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    17,596
    Climate change has been happening since the earth formed.

    It's being used by those who want to control the worlds people to restrict peoples lives.....that's all it is.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Climate change has been happening since the earth formed.

    It's being used by those who want to control the worlds people to restrict peoples lives.....that's all it is.
    MSN are guilty of televising unseasonal weather in different parts of the world and using them as an excuse for climate change.
    Interestingly MSN has not highlighted the fact that the weather forecast for D Day 6th June 1944 was very similar to the weather forecast for yesterday 5th June 2024.
    However that does not suit their agenda plus the agendas of Greta Thunberg, Extinction Rebellion, Just Stop Oil and Patrick Harvie of the Greens.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    What average measure are you applying here? Mean, median or mode?

    How can someone arriving five minutes late to catch a train actually catch it? The 5 o'clock train leaves at 5 o'clock, if you get there at five minutes past you've missed it. If the train's late and the person arriving late catches it the reason isn't that they arrived late but that they were lucky because the train was running late. In this instance there's an external influence on the outcome, i.e. the train's on time departure which skews any data you might use to prove your theory.

    I'm not sure that variance of train on time departure data would show a normal distribution if you used two and a half or five minutes late / early as your mean, but would be more than happy to be proven wrong. Obviously I haven't done the research and am simply challenging your rested case.

    My theory is if you arrive five minutes late for 100 trains you'll miss more than you'll catch.

    I also have a theory on climate change. Yes climate change is happening but it's more due to the fact that the planet is coming out of an ice age than Shell pulling oil and gas out of the North Sea. If us older folks cast our minds back to e=when we were young we can easily argue that summers were hotter and longer whilst winters were both colder at times and warmer at times and that there's no difference today. In 1976 when we had a long, hot summer followed by a harsh winter there were no climate activists around to warn of looming planetary disaster and lo and behold - no planetary disaster.

    The other part of my theory on climate change is that if that bag of perfection and irrefutable climate knowledge Greta Thunberg was to be burned as a witch her carbon effect on the planet would surely be enough to counter all the fossil fuels burned in 100 years across the globe?
    I was only taking the p1ss! My point if there was one is that statisticians can mess about with figures to prove almost anything (as in lies, damned lies and statistics). As you rightly point out there are many forms of average. A 10° average day night temperature can be made up from 20° day/zero° night or alternatively 12° day/8° night. I'm sure statistics, averages etc. are routinely manipulated to suit the climate change agenda.

    I agree with all your other stuff about climate change including the sainted Greta bit lol.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    I was only taking the p1ss! My point if there was one is that statisticians can mess about with figures to prove almost anything (as in lies, damned lies and statistics). As you rightly point out there are many forms of average. A 10° average day night temperature can be made up from 20° day/zero° night or alternatively 12° day/8° night. I'm sure statistics, averages etc. are routinely manipulated to suit the climate change agenda.

    I agree with all your other stuff about climate change including the sainted Greta bit lol.
    I knew you were taking the p1ss and so was I - for the same reason too. As you say damned lies. I studied statistics many years ago and you quite literally can justify anything with them and anybody can challenge them, usually very easily.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •