+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6th June 1944

6th June 1944

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

mot

RIP and thank you for your sacrifice from which we all benefit

I watched the film The Great Escaper on the plane, I know it is ten years old, I didn't realise he had been on Landing Craft, as soon as I saw his beach scene flashback I was reminded of my Uncle who had the same role. He, like many, would not talk about it. He only came home in 1946, emaciated (no supplies to the ship) and mentally battered but was back at his old job the following week. How did we go from people of such calibre to some of the spoilt brats that think they deserve everything in life today!

I’m afraid most people nowadays think everything should be given to them without having to even work, handouts aplenty, those brave souls of 80 years ago gave their lives for these spoilt little brats, I doubt some even know what d day is, or care, so sad.

Unbelievable how brave they were. Beyond comprehension for me.
    True heroes

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    I watched the film The Great Escaper on the plane, I know it is ten years old, I didn't realise he had been on Landing Craft, as soon as I saw his beach scene flashback I was reminded of my Uncle who had the same role. He, like many, would not talk about it. He only came home in 1946, emaciated (no supplies to the ship) and mentally battered but was back at his old job the following week. How did we go from people of such calibre to some of the spoilt brats that think they deserve everything in life today!
    My father-in-law was in the RAMC and was with the 50th Div on Gold beach. The French issued a medal to all those who landed on the 6th, and as both he and his daughter (my late wife) have passed, I felt it only right to wear it in his and his comrades honour, just yesterday as the day the invasion actually began, and today as the day the sea-borne invasion started in earnest. It will go back with Freds other medals until the next significant anniversary. Fred and I did speak about some of his time as a medic, but much was never spoken about, only hinted at (I know he was part of a contingent supporting armoured British troops that liberated Bergen Belsen, but that is all i know).

I suspect your question regarding how did we get to where we are now is one almost every person of those generations that lived through the war, and into the 50's and early 60's will be asking, and not just on the occasion of D-Day commemorations, but every day, when we see how the sacrifices that those who fell and those who returned changed in many ways, and almost always not for the better, have been taken for granted. The age of "entitlement" is upon us, of expecting others to do what the individual used to be responsible for, of instant gratification no matter what the cost to others or to the little blue marble each and every one of us lives on. How did we get here? F00ked if I know.

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    Post of the decade candidate for me.

I think about it almost every day. We were never defeated in battle. Just gave it all away. Much of the rest of the world does not look at life the way Europe and the US do. They will be happy to take it without second to think about it.

Think there are still lots of selfless people if that ilk they just don’t get media air time and tend to get less attention than they should.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Post of the decade candidate for me.

I think about it almost every day. We were never defeated in battle. Just gave it all away. Much of the rest of the world does not look at life the way Europe and the US do. They will be happy to take it without second to think about it.
    Agree.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate their are some great kids out there and the way media works to day they seem to just show the bad in life.

Watching the reports from France of interviews with the few remaining survivors they all seem to be amazing people. Equally was the Lady who was a young girl at the Pegasus Bridge cafe, eloquent in English, she gave a great account and tribute to those who saved them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)