+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: White England players only

  1. #1

    White England players only

    Saw this pop up

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...england-defeat

    So is the answer to show only pictures of white england players when England are crap

    or maybe only show pictures of black players when England does well?


    It's all getting a bit crazy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,253
    As you say, its all getting a bit crazy.
    I read this paragraph and thought I know quite a lot of England fans and a decent number of them will be going to Germany but not one of them has expressed anything like these sentiments.

    "Heading into Euro 2024, fans are rightly asking whether the current England squad will see a repeat of what happened to Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho after the last Euros final where all three suffered terrible online abuse because of their actions on the field. Its a question we have been asking ourselves at Kick It Out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Posts
    432
    Context:

    "prominent use of Bukayo Saka’s picture by some outlets to illustrate England’s loss to Iceland."

    "Saka came on in the 65th minute for Anthony Gordon and was not on the pitch when England conceded"

    Back pages of The S** and Mail both showed Saka in their main picture.


    In July 2021, after Saka had been subject to online abuse, the England manager, FA and Prime Minister spoke openly about it, and the Met Police investigated numerous profiles. Three months later, 79 accounts which had been repeatedly abusing Saka were still in use.

    Purely for context.

  4. #4
    Had Bellingham been playing would it have been his picture, seeing he is the one being hyped at the moment?

    or maybe Mainoo?


    The game was hard to comment on, considering nothing happened

    Had England scored surely the pic used would have been of the goal scorer, black or white

    I think there's more mileage in considering that Kick It Out are trying to raise their profile and to justify their existance rather than a problem of photo choice

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,358
    It's the world gone mad again. The media are just looking for a picture which reflects the situation...dejection or disappointment. Maybe Saka just looked the most crestfallen...surely a good thing. Purely on numbers, the odds were stacked in favour of the picture featuring a black player as there were only 4 white players on the field for England at the end of the game.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    It's the world gone mad again. The media are just looking for a picture which reflects the situation...dejection or disappointment. Maybe Saka just looked the most crestfallen...surely a good thing. Purely on numbers, the odds were stacked in favour of the picture featuring a black player as there were only 4 white players on the field for England at the end of the game.
    What were the odds on two newspapers opting for the same black footballer?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    900
    Meanwhile, at the Daily Star, their back page carried the headline "Black Ice" and a picture of Saka.

    Errrrrm...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post
    Meanwhile, at the Daily Star, their back page carried the headline "Black Ice" and a picture of Saka.

    Errrrrm...
    Seems to be talk of him not being fit

    https://www.frontpages.com/sports-newspapers/


    Quite a cross section of pics there

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Seems to be talk of him not being fit

    https://www.frontpages.com/sports-newspapers/


    Quite a cross section of pics there
    That's today's paper, I was talking about the one after the match.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    What were the odds on two newspapers opting for the same black footballer?
    I didn't see the pictures. Was it the same player or the same photo? If it's the latter, the chances are very high. If it's the former, the chances may still be very high if he looked significantly more disappointed/upset than other players.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •