+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The cost of no Europe

The cost of no Europe

There has been a shift from last season to this season..

I can't see any type of Tonali signing this summer..

Our targets are questionable if reports are true..

We have already seen Tosin reject us and go to Chelsea and we get Kelly on a free..

We are linked with Kelechi Iheanacho on a free after Leicester decided not to renew his contract..

We are now after James Trafford over Mamardashvili because we won't pay the asking price..

With regards to signings there will be a big gap between us and those that finished in Europe.. Chelsea seem to just buy who they want and don't worry about finances at all, Aston Villa will make some big signings this summer I feel due to Champions League as will Spurs..

Man U have had an influx of cash and I can see them doing what Chelsea done when Boehly first took over...

I trust our management to get things right, I'm just worried that the more quality players will choose Europe over us..

Now I don't believe everything written in the media about who we are linked with don't get me wrong.. But I am watching this window with more scrutiny than the last 10 years

There is a lot of paper talk about the drek like Iheanacho. A lot of this will have nothing to do with the club.

Tosin & Kelly are very good standard Prem players and just because they are free doesn't make them lesser quality. Comparing these two to Dummet and Ritchie, they represent a massive step up in quality for the squad. Making the squad a lot more competitive from first 11 to the rest of the 25.

Doesn't mean we're completely broke. However, I do understand the concern from some sections of the fan base.

The club has financial targets they are prepared for players, valuations of what they think a player is worth. The offer for Mamardashvili is still on the table however, Valencia's owner has a higher figure in mind. Like with all football transfers, a player is only worth what a team is prepared to pay for him.

It's not clear that anyone else is gonna come in with that bigger offer. We've moved for Trafford, who, we should remember has been coached at City and mentored by Álisson Becker. At 21 he's experienced a full season as a Premier League Goal Keeper. That's nothing to sniff at.

Obviously I prefer the Georgian signing however the dynamic with Pope as No.1 might cause some instability. I don't know what the best solution here. Trafford will become a great goal keeper and people in the England camp have him pencilled in as T-Rex's long term replacement as Englands No.1.

The Iheanacho links are all agent led as far as I'm concerned. a 1 in 6 level striker has no place in the squad of a team with ambitions to be top 4 regularly.

However, you're right, not having European Competition this season might be a concern, however, the profile of player we're going for is that 22-25 yr old ambitious player who has ambitions to be a UCL regular. Their goals align with ours. So we need to make sure we add some more quality in the vein, to keep moving on.

The luxury/silver lining if you will, of not flying half way around the world to European back waters on a Thursday night means Eddie Howe will have the lads on the training pitch all week and we can really make a fist of challenging for a Champions League place for next season.

Gonna be an exciting few months that's for sure!

I have full faith the club are giving it 100% under our constraints. They will get it right and even if they don't now they will eventually. A different planet now to this time say 5 years ago but I think this is a key season coming up where we need to get something whether thats a cup or top 4 otherwise we could lose a couple.

I am looking ay Tonali as a new signing (I know), because he basically is. Trafford is the best option to keep Pope happy and to get time to develop. I like the move, and I believe reading other forums a lot of clubs will struggle to make signings this summer for one reason or another - Welbeck is being talked about for Man Yoo ffs.

I think we are doing just fine with the team cause a lot of the cartel want a lot of them.

Oh, I dunno, Tut.

I think we'll get at least one very good signing and a couple of very decent ones at least.

Club have put out some 'off the record' stories that they're going to bring in a Bruno/Isak level WOW signing in July.

Gonna be a tough one top pull off what with the Euros & Copa América going on I guess. Unless the player isn't European or from Las Americas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Oh, I dunno, Tut.

I think we'll get at least one very good signing and a couple of very decent ones at least.
    Agreed,

It really wouldn't surprise me a "wow" signing either.

Almost a wave in the face of prem and other clubs - yes we may have missed Europe but we're still here.

Just look at the past windows, which is enough to go on. They have mostly come up trumps with several surprise, class signings which have all come good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post

It's not clear that anyone else is gonna come in with that bigger offer. We've moved for Trafford, who, we should remember has been coached at City and mentored by Álisson Becker. At 21 he's experienced a full season as a Premier League Goal Keeper. That's nothing to sniff at.
    ***Correction***

Ederson Santana de Moraes, not the Liverpool goal keeper. That would be rather impressive for a Man City academy player be mentored by the Liverpool goal keeper.

TBH both Brazilian, don't play for NUFC, so, generally don't care.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)