+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Williams to Pompey

Williams to Pompey

It looks like Jordan Williams is signing for Pompey according to news emerging out of Portsmouth today , I wish him well for the future, he always gave his best for us despite being continually messed about due to the lack of quality among the back line , he was asked to plug gaps instead of concentrating and developing his favoured position of wing back , he was also burdened with captaincy when he was probably not ready which in my opinion also created problems for him but all in all I think he can walk away from Grove st with his head held high, good luck and thanks for your efforts Jordan , once a red always a red !!!

Great - let’s get back to football.

Yes there’s definitely a player in Williams.
    But IMO he suffers from under estimating his own ability - he has the speed to really hurt the opposition - but rarely uses it when going forward.

There is a reason the club has let him go.
    Maybe he was asking for too much money.
    It would be interesting to know that reason.
    Especially interesting if the club thinks they can bring in someone better on the same wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

There is a reason the club has let him go.
    The main reason the club "has let him go" is that he has come to the end of his contract with Barnsley FC. He is no longer a Barnsley player.

Good luck at Portsmouth Jordan.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 14-06-2024 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    It looks like Jordan Williams is signing for Pompey according to news emerging out of Portsmouth today , I wish him well for the future, he always gave his best for us despite being continually messed about due to the lack of quality among the back line , he was asked to plug gaps instead of concentrating and developing his favoured position of wing back , he was also burdened with captaincy when he was probably not ready which in my opinion also created problems for him but all in all I think he can walk away from Grove st with his head held high, good luck and thanks for your efforts Jordan , once a red always a red !!!
    Copy that Shads.

We probably also not prepared to pay his wage demands.

Next move for him will certainly be important to him both level at playing at and financial package.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Couldn't agree more Shads. I hope he does well there.

I do not agree that the club let him go , his contract was up and the prospect of going to the championship with a club that has clearly got ambition coupled with the fact that he will be getting championship wages then it would be a no brainer for the lad , I believe he has been a good player for us and owes us nothing , I think that generally he will go with the fans blessing and I hope his career goes forward and on to better things.

Would he have stayed if the club had offered him a contract with an improved wage ?
    He might have.

I can fully understand why they didn’t offer such as Kane a contract (as according to his infamous interview) - but IMO Williams could still do a job for us.
    Be interesting if they can get someone as good - or even better.
    There will be a reason they let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Would he have stayed if the club had offered him a contract with an improved wage ?
    He might have.

I can fully understand why they didn’t offer such as Kane a contract (as according to his infamous interview) - but IMO Williams could still do a job for us.
    Be interesting if they can get someone as good - or even better.
    There will be a reason they let him go.
    Presumably they'll be looking for O'Keeffe to step up. Williams is at the point in his career where he needed to step up a level otherwise he may have just stagnated. He needed the new challenge so I felt he would always leave if we weren't promoted.

I agree with you Arba and I also think that Lofthouse will be pushing to get a place , regarding Williams I do not think staying with us would have been an option for him , the club might have wanted to keep him , Kane & Cole but once championship clubs come calling I doubt what ever we could have done would matter , these players will have known for a while of other clubs interest and subsequently ran their contracts down but better players will always want to play at the highest level they can and I expect other out of contract players who were our better players will move in the same direction and that is up a league .

I liked Williams and think he’s been one of our better players in the last couple of years.

If he’d have still been next season, he’d have been one of, if not, the best right wing backs in the division. It’s a shame we didn’t see that this season.

As others have said, it’s looking like it will be O’Keeffe’s position with either Cotter or Lofthouse as backup.

I wish Williams well. Long ol trek to relocate but always seem like a good club Pompey. And as a bonus at least he isn’t going to a league rival. I was sure he’d end up at Hudders so glad to be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast