+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amir Begovic

Amir Begovic

Some reports that NUFC has signed Amir Begovic on a free.

Question is he a 2nd or 3rd choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Marat18 View Post
    Some reports that NUFC has signed Amir Begovic on a free.

Question is he a 2nd or 3rd choice?
    Asmir Begović is another solid keeper to join the ranges. We look like we're bringing in Trafford for the long term No.1 spot however, we do need another quality keeper to work with Pope, Trafford and Gillespie.

I saw a few rumours it might happen. Good keeper, solid addition to the squad.

Great to have another very experienced keeper to develop Trafford into a top top level stopper.

Hmm...at 36 and at the arse-end of his career, I kind of hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Hmm...at 36 and at the arse-end of his career, I kind of hope not.
    He has experience, decent, should be cheap.
    He is supposed to do whatever 3rd choice keeper usually does - turn up for training and occasionally make the bench

If thats all we expect why not just keep Dubs then who is 35. Reina is also available and so is Kasper Schmeichel if we are looking for experience. Don"t necessarily disagree with Begovic, just playing devils advocate on it.

People now saying this isn't true.

Not sure this is a great move. Particularly when he takes a place in squad - 4 GKs. . . that would be.

His experience would be good and he'd add some leadership in the dressing room.

But still . . . this doesn't feel like how we've done business.

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    If thats all we expect why not just keep Dubs then who is 35. Reina is also available and so is Kasper Schmeichel if we are looking for experience. Don"t necessarily disagree with Begovic, just playing devils advocate on it.
    Dubz wants to leave.
    Reina & Schmeichel would both be good options for our needs.
    Wouldn't be upset to see any of the 3 added to the ranks, all 3 have won titles.

If dubs is on his way out along with Karius then someone like Begovic is fine as a stand in. Low wages and an aid to the younger keepers.
    As long as we have Pope and Trafford (or some other young up and coming keeper) as understudy then all is fine.
    I just wouldn't trust Trafford coming in to be nailed on starter just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    I would be happy if Dubs stayed but i dont think he wants to play second fiddle to Pope. If he does leave then i wish him well.

This is what he said to the Slovenian media about his situation.

“If I’m honest, I don’t care what happens anymore.

“I defended my place and did my best for the club.

“If they decide to bring someone else, I won’t influence it anymore.

He's a good 'keeper but plays 10 yards too far back to be a good fit for Eddie's style of play. Good luck to him if he goes but let's not forget he fucked off to Man U rather than 'defend his place' so I won't be gutted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)